Mar 27, 2015
bBEcKcz.png

jXyyPdj.jpg

KqqRyib.jpg

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'd say the brush strokes are a bit too extreme on that model, maybe? Like, if you compare it to something like the dump truck or the current version of Rexy's forklift, you'll see that it's pretty minimal and subtle and still gives the overall impression of being a solid-colored object with an even paint job. I might make an exception for the conveyor belt? Maybe? At first glance it looked fine, because that part is at least expected to look kind of messy from wear, but looking closer even that has a bit too much like it's just covered in squares. Compared with something like the street texture used in Kong King.

Getting the TF2 style down perfectly is really really tricky and will likely involve a lot of practice and trial and error. I don't claim to really understand it myself, and judging by the utter lack of advice I've seen over the years it might be an unteachable skill.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
it might be an unteachable skill.

This article is a pretty good introduction to the style in general, but as you say it isn't easy to get the style just right; Particularly given how different the texturing is on different props (even official ones)

Getting the brush strokes looking just right is without a doubt the most time consuming part though

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Metals look better when they predominately have the brush strokes in the specular map anyway. You can go a long way towards making a great metal texture with a simple solid grey plus AO and a good specular map.

RataDeOrdenador

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 12, 2015
HagzlnE.jpg

Dunno why I'm proud of that thing right there... But I'm proud of it.

Point A is done (almost),still missing 3 so this "thing" can get in A1 and finally tested.

hopefullyiwontgetkilledtoohardbecauseoftheammountofcrapiveaddedeitherbywalkwaysorrandomrocks

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
I decided to restart on pl_altitude because i got stuck....but i'm pretty happy with the new result! The layout is mostly done but no track yet.
v5XP9dY.jpg
ndq6Y3S.jpg
V9ZRH4G.jpg

Mystic Monkey

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 24, 2011
I'm remaking my first map from the ground up. Though still riddled with novice problems. I can't seem to get a proper Skybox working and can't fix a leak I found.

I plan on making my own BLU and RED signs with festive acronyms. Maybe "Blitzen Light Utilities" and "Rudolph's Extra Decorations". Or perhaps use the word "Azure" and "Gules" in my map because I find tincture interesting.
The map will be divided by a ravine over a freezing river with a single bridge over it, falling into river is instant death. (Yet to add more than one access, though maybe it's fine with just the bridge.)
Other than that the respawn area is more secured and the cabin is more further out and much bigger than before.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 180

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
PD_SnowvilleV2 (actually still V1 so the workshop can update itself) is live now! Check the changes out here.

pyoC8Ry.jpg

Unit load device for hangar, still under development.
VFa2dtR.jpg

iH4FrcC.jpg
We need an airport theme pack. There are so many opportunities with the theme.

Woozlez

L3: Member
Jul 28, 2010
I've said this before and I'll say it again. ScorpioUprising did a really good job with KOTH Airfield in getting across the building architecture you might see at a small airport. I see the same roof trim style is already used for at least part of the buildings in Hangar. Maybe you can get in touch with Ruskeydoo to get larger versions of the plane props for the map.

Airfield: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454123193

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
PD_SnowvilleV2 (actually still V1 so the workshop can update itself) is live now! Check the changes out here.

pyoC8Ry.jpg

We need an airport theme pack. There are so many opportunities with the theme.

How did you make that Skybox? Is it painted? Or a particle party within the skybox?

Aug 30, 2015
Given the disastrous reception of my first map, my second one of the same name has nowhere to go but up

CTF_Skylight Overview.jpg

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Alloy is looking mighty fine. Going to touch up those telephone masts and add wires sometime soon. Pushing the skycard back a little so that it fades with the fog. Other than that, nearing completion.

mDRy04v.jpg