[WIP] DualCP - Small Map

kriger

L1: Registered
Apr 19, 2008
Hey Guys,

This is my first post, and also my first attempt at a map for tf2. I have never completed a map before, so I hope due to the small nature of this one it will actually get done! This is very early stages, but I'd like to throw my idea out there to see if people like it.

Here's the screens:

dualcp1pb8.jpg

dualcpok5.jpg

Again, I know it's not much just yet. I have a lot I want to do with it, but... here's the gameplay:

Both teams will start out in identical spawn points, both will have to run down the stairs, and push a button which will make the capture point platforms rise (the cylinders in the bottom pit) to the top. (I'm hoping, to restrict the start of capture until the platforms rise.)

So then the capturing will start... The first team to successfully capture their point will win. (I'm hoping to have a decently high time on the capture.)

I hope that made sense, and sounded as cool as it did in my head when i thought about it... hopefully not one of those, cool on paper, bad play type things!

Any constructive criticism welcome

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Your idea was so interesting I went ahead and built the entity system, just to see if its actually viable. The only thing I couldn't get right was to make the team_control_point hologram to move. To restrict the capture until the platforms are up, just make it so that the door (which is the platform) has an output to enable everything OnFullyOpen.

Could make an interesting skermish map. Will one team have a way of stopping the other team from capping their point besides just standing on it? Otherwise, it might just be a scout map, heh.

kriger

Apr 19, 2008
Your idea was so interesting I went ahead and built the entity system, just to see if its actually viable. The only thing I couldn't get right was to make the team_control_point hologram to move. To restrict the capture until the platforms are up, just make it so that the door (which is the platform) has an output to enable everything OnFullyOpen.

Could make an interesting skermish map. Will one team have a way of stopping the other team from capping their point besides just standing on it? Otherwise, it might just be a scout map, heh.

Don't know yet... I suppose I'm going to have to build some other corridors and blockades ... perhaps this could be a attack/defend map, where i can change some time limits and stuff... theres a number of ways to go with it... feel free to use the idea with a variation for yourself if you like it =). I got the hologram to move by adding my own "parentname" parameter to the entity and then I just linked it up to my elevator (i used a func_tracktrain or whatever, was this bad)... the capture points are moving great... it's just I can't make the damn buttons turn the capture points off their "lock" positions... I was trying to use an output on the trigger for the capture point, where it is SetTeamCanCap <teamnumber> <1,0>, dunno i've been trying all night... and I just checked your post.. I'll have to try that tomorrow, thanks.

Last edited:

Apr 12, 2008
Hmm, no idea about the train version of an elevator, I've just always used doors, and it does have th output you could use. But another idea if just disabling and whatnot doesn't work, would be to have the button trigger it after a long enough delay.

Oh, and what I did was just set the points (both the brush cap zone and the holgram) to disabled on spawn. The set team stuff might get a little nerve racking if you've had issues already.

kriger

Apr 19, 2008
Hmm, no idea about the train version of an elevator, I've just always used doors, and it does have th output you could use. But another idea if just disabling and whatnot doesn't work, would be to have the button trigger it after a long enough delay.

Oh, and what I did was just set the points (both the brush cap zone and the holgram) to disabled on spawn. The set team stuff might get a little nerve racking if you've had issues already.

Yeah I have had some issues... I'm going to go with your route on this. I can't get anything i've tried to work. I've been trying for hours to perfect it, nothings working, almost ready to give up!!! :angry:

I'm going to let it sit a few days, and come back to it.

kriger

Apr 19, 2008
Just sparking a little more interest if there is any, here's some screens of the CPs as they move.... nothing special, but I'm hoping this is a good stepping stone map for me:

dualcpnew1fm8.jpg

dualcpnew2ye0.jpg

dualcpnew3zb3.jpg

The circle in the middle was a support beam holding up the platform connected to the top center support, but there were errors i was receiving so i had to take it out for compiling, something WILL go there, just dont know what yet.

Last edited:

kriger

Apr 19, 2008
Spawned Idea

Hey all reading this post...

I noticed there was a problem with making vertical maps balanced, perhaps my moving CP platform can help, at least half-way. (I suppose the CP doesn't have to move, but I'm all about it. The team could just spawn at their next point, but it won't give the "feel" of "rising" to the top.)

Imagine a tube, two identical spawn points, and a best of 3 type of game. Teams will spawn identically, and the team to capture the point on the specific level gets a point. Once captured, the point moves up to the next level (obviously, there will theme/structural changes per level, to make things interesting... my "tube" idea is just the surface) ... until the top. This will be fast paced, so players do not get bored, and they will play 3/5 rounds (or 2/4 depending on the pwnage.)

Here's the picture that I drew (-spawn points) if my words did not do it for you:

coolideash3.jpg

Apr 12, 2008
Hmm, this gives me a couple of ideas. I can envision (though implementing would be another thing all together) a map like that, where each level is a different hologram. You see the platform rise to the level, then the architecture fades in. Once a point is capture, everything fades out, the level shakes, and then begins to rise again, where new architecture comes in. It could be pretty cool, but that would be a pain to get working, if its possible, and even then, I can see people getting stuck in walls.

kriger

Apr 19, 2008
Hmm, this gives me a couple of ideas. I can envision (though implementing would be another thing all together) a map like that, where each level is a different hologram. You see the platform rise to the level, then the architecture fades in. Once a point is capture, everything fades out, the level shakes, and then begins to rise again, where new architecture comes in. It could be pretty cool, but that would be a pain to get working, if its possible, and even then, I can see people getting stuck in walls.

Well... It doesn't have to be quite that complicated, however, it'd be cool to be that... if you know how to make it work right (I think it is an awesome idea)... but if you were going to defer from any additional programing, the platform holding the capture point could literally just rise another level (the old capture point would stay put), and there would be a scenery change for the players.... dunno. Just a few ideas.... maybe this would require more than i originally thought, never know till ya try though.

Last edited: