[WIP] ctf_Torch

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by R3dRuM, Mar 12, 2008.

1. R3dRuM

R3dRuM L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Remaking one of my favorite classics from Team Fortress Classic, It is a reverse ctf map, started today and have finished the brushwork of a base. Here is the comparison picture, mind the lighting, still WIP.

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    Although i never played TFC, comparing the screenshots look very similar. well done =)

3. TotalMark

TotalMark L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Indeed, this looks like it will turn out good.

4. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Your lights need some work, you can see where you placed the bulbs ^^
    But i can see this will come along nice.

Don't just copy the layout from tfc though, tf2 has a unique style (look at the buildings etc) but I'm sure you know that :)

5. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm sure the lighting is only temporary, Snipergen. :)

But yes, do keep in mind the different gameplay found in TF2. Various classes have different modes of travel to take advantage of and weapons with different advantages and disadvantages. It's great to do a good port of a map, but be mindful of the game you're porting it to and make some alterations as needed.

It looks like you're doing a good work bringing it up to date though. Keep it up!

6. Noggin

Noggin L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Isnt the middle ground this map all hilly? I vaguely remember it, the middle section would be great if u can make it TF2 style.

7. R3dRuM

Positive Ratings:
    Yep, all hilly, will be remaking it with smoother less pointy displacements and some nice props

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  8. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also torkey, dont use round stuff, that was for tfc, tf2 is 90 degree corners :)

9. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    I think you can get away with curves occasionally, since badlands has a ton in the bases. But yes generally hard angles.

10. R3dRuM

Positive Ratings:
    Round corners are staying. Period. But i did remove the ones in the spawns, they didnt look right, anyway, more pics, lighting is crap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  11. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Inset lights look great!

12. TotalMark

TotalMark L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    That's not crap, they look great.

13. Scotland Tom

Positive Ratings:
    Lighting is certainly coming along though. Could possibly stand to be a bit brighter. (Though I am looking at darker screenshots against the white forum background)

Texturing looks well done, but bland. Try to spice things up a bit. Also, break up the architecture with some details and props if need be.

14. R3dRuM

Positive Ratings:
    Yep, working on it! The room is much brighter now

15. Sacrifist

Sacrifist L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Keep it rounded. 90 degree corners can be really boring and just because Valve has 90 degree corners in their stock maps doesnt mean that TF2 maps cant have rounded corners. TFC had rounded corner maps because they look more professional and TFC had some of the greatest mappers around. Sorry but just go take a look over at the Fortress Forever forums and you will see what those TFC guys can do. Its unfortunate that they arent mapping for TF2 because their map stockpile is by far superior.

16. Scotland Tom

Positive Ratings:
    Well, it all depends on the architectural style you're going for. WWII Nazi pillboxes were made of concrete and had rounded corners. Your average farmhouse or barn is composed mostly of simple wooden beams at 90 degree angles. Rounded corners don't equal professional, they're only elements of a particular design. Are the Empire State Building or the Sears Tower considered "less professional" because they don't have rounded corners?

17. Sacrifist

Sacrifist L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, Leaning Tower of Pisa and Taj Mahal ftw! lol. Perhaps professional was the wrong word as a whole. All Im saying is that rounded architecture looks more professional imo. But, if its a barn or grain building you are going for, it would look silly rounded. I certainly dont see any of those in this particular map though.

18. R3dRuM

Positive Ratings:
    Update: Shiny floors, nicer lights (i guess?!), guide lines on floor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    Rounded corners can look more impressive, but when they appear in a map out of context with the environment and out of context with the visual style of the game, their inclusion can definitely be less professional.

As with anything, there should be a reason for using or not using rounded corners beyond it looking cool.

20. R3dRuM

Positive Ratings:
    Reason for rounded corners: Not trying to be a port of TFC, just making people recognize the map from the old and also because it looks cool. :)