[WIP] ctf_switchfoot

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
Im currently in beta 3 of CTF switchfoot its a 2fort style map. with symetrical bases, overall layout is the same some asthetic pieces on the insides differ from base to base.

I liked 2fort, but Ididnt like the problems with it like bridge spam or choking down the intel with turtling too much.

So I included in my map an alternate route across the water via a side passage, the bridge is uncovered to prevent sentry abuse, all classes can get on to the top of the bridge so no demo soldier scout abuse. Easy access to battlements 3 entrances to intel and 2 spawns one on top floor and one on bottom floor. Also included is the obligatory sewer system :).

Map background:

RED thought nobody in thier right mind would find a base out here in this barren droughtland so they setup a nuclear launch site and started to construct a rocket using the guise of a mining facility.

BLU thought the same thing and they figured who would look for a launch site next to a small mining facility. So Doing what they do best they constructed a fuel depot with a launch silo desquised as a weather radar.

Soon however each noticed strange things going on in the building just across the river. A hasty bridge was erected to gain access to thier neighbors build plans and to try and stall each others nuclear progress. Its a race to the finish to see who gets to control the power. Will it be You or Them!

Pics are a bit old, but are mostly the same. You can download beta 2 in the map download section Beta 3 will be up on friday.

JosephOhSnap

L1: Registered
Jan 6, 2009
This looks pretty promising. in the 4th screenshot it looks a bit dry. maybe add some props there. the bridge looks a little to open also. even 2fort is a sniper map. all hell will break loose if you make the middle any more open. But ya, i am pretty exited about this one. looks pretty good. keep up the good work.

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
Yea its an old screenshot there are barrels and whatnot in that area now. also the bridge is not meant to be the primary means of travel. as you can go three routes and you can also sticky rocket jump across if need be. You can also climb out of the water via ladders.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Great to hear that you've paid particular attention to the huge issues of 2fort. I'm convinced ctf can be fun, but I've seen very few examples of that - would be great if you managed to get it all right. :)
The screens look good. The area outside the bases looks like it might be a bit small, but I don't know for sure, it's hard to make a comparison to the player's size from this particular angle.
You've used a roof texture for some of RED's walls, by the way, I think it looks a bit odd.

Small complaint about the last thing you said: Ladders are bad. They don't belong in TF2, as they break up the fluency of movement because you have to think about using them - you shouldn't have to think about movement in TF2. You should always use staircases where ladders would fit in other games, as those allow players to move fluently.

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
I havent really had any issues with the ladders you can see one in the second pic. The area outside is a bit smaller width wise then 2fort, but i think its a bit longer. I wanted to try and confine the battles to the inside of the base since you do need to actively defend the intel if you want to win. Unlike 2fort where its a spamfest freeforall.

Feel free to download it like I said beta 2 is up in the download section.

Last edited:

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
For some odd reason after I added my custom textures all the reflective objects in my map turned blue. if anyone downloads this could you let me know if the custom soundscape works in it.