[WIP] Ctf_Cruise

Narkissus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 22, 2008
Something ive been working on for the past week or so. Thought id post it. Was thinking of making it scroll like Convoy does, maybe have some islands go by and stuff. Also, do you think the smokestacks should have smoke coming out of them?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
is looking really awesome =)

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Looks very promising architecturally. I know it's early, but having an island or some other distant land masses off on the horizon would really make the skybox stand out.

Even without modeling experience, stuff like those anchors I don't think would be too difficult. Still, if it's something you don't want to get into I would seriously consider asking around to see if anyone would be willing to make a few of those props for you. Again, those anchors especially would be a lot better if they were props and not brushwork.

Keep working on this one. It looks like it's got the potential to be a really fun map to play.

Narkissus

Jan 22, 2008
How can i get a scrolling skybox like convoy does? Is there any tuts out there that handle that?

And man, if only i could model and make textures, i suppose i could give it a try though. Theres alot of things that would be much better with custom stuff.

Paria

Dec 12, 2007
looking really good so far from the screenshots, how big is the level ? it really looks like a good candidate for a cp map (attack/defend), then you wouldnt have to worry about the balancing issues of a linear cp/ctf map style.

Even so brushwork makes its look very promising :)

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
Looks fantastic, a big thumbs up on your brush work! I vote yes for the smoke. I also vote for more portholes! A big ship like that will have a lot.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
How can i get a scrolling skybox like convoy does? Is there any tuts out there that handle that?

And man, if only i could model and make textures, i suppose i could give it a try though. Theres alot of things that would be much better with custom stuff.

All I know about that is he used textures with animation on them. I actually haven't loaded Convoy, so if I'm wrong, don't hurt me :(

tenaciousg

L1: Registered
Jan 8, 2008
looks really impressive and may i just say unique! you're doing great and (the anchors) definately need to be modeled also the anchors look a little odd being so.. symmetrical

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008

You finally got the water texture :)

You can make scrolling textures by codding the .vmt. But I won't do it on your map because it's a ship and you are in the middle of the sea so you wouldn't see the sky moving on real life. To create some movement effect you can create some brush icebers moving on the map and on the 3Dskybox.

Oh yes, and scale water to 1, it's made to use at this scale

Narkissus

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for all the comments guys. :thumbup:

@ Spike: Yeah I finally downloaded the mod to get the water, the water in tf2 and hl just didnt seem to fit what i was wanting. Also: Icebers = Icebergs?

@ Vander: Smoke and more portholes it is!

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
@ Spike: Yeah I finally downloaded the mod to get the water, the water in tf2 and hl just didnt seem to fit what i was wanting. Also: Icebers = Icebergs?

yeah, I mean icebergs

R3dRuM

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
Looks really good, like the brushes, but whats up with the scale, feels too small

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
Looks great, good concept and I think the size looks right.

It should have a foghorn that goes off when the Intel is capped.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
Smoke - Yes
Portholes - Yes
And how are you going to keep demo men out of the smoke stacks? Player clip over the top of them?

Narkissus

Jan 22, 2008
Im debating wether or not to allow people to go on the roofs on the far ends (not the middle roof) and to keep demoman out of the smoke stack i would just playerclip yeah.

How expensive is env_smokestack compared to wether its in the actual map or the 3d skybox?

Last edited:

RogueNZ

L1: Registered
Mar 18, 2008
Whoa looks pretty wicked i reckon it would make a cool CTF map myself, i really like the water too how could i go about replicating it? Yea try smoke, not much though as it is a cruise liner and not a dirty cargo ship.