[WIP] ctf_coret

Dec 25, 2007
Detailing is fun!

Here's what I've done so far with the red flag room on ctf_coret. On the left is what it looked like in ctf_coret_alpha1; and on the right is what it currently looks like. I reckon this is about 80% of the detailing work needed in the flag room. Gosh it's fun, but slow: what you see took about 8 hours in total.

Last edited:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Like night and day. That is very impressive, nice !

Dec 25, 2007
Yeah, the roof's probably my favourite part. I was inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's roof at the Marin County Civic Center.

Dec 25, 2007
And after another 12 hours, the detail, lighting, and soundscape (and a bit of the 3d skybox) for the flag room is complete!

Dec 25, 2007
It's amazing how much effort getting the last few details right takes...

jakeparlay

L2: Junior Member
Dec 11, 2007
looks really great. dont get too get caught up in the details before having a complete layout blocked out so you can check timings, etc.

fantastic stuff

Dec 25, 2007
Yeah, it's easy to get caught up in the looks, isn't it?

I'd already blocked out the whole map; I was dreading how difficult it might be to turn it into something that looks good, so decided to try fully detailing & polishing a single room. Learnt a lot about lighting, materials, and entities doing so.

Half-Life_Maniac

L3: Member
Nov 30, 2007
Most impressive. Another of the few maps I'll be looking out for.
This one earns the HLM seal of approval!

My only concern is those props on the lower level. They seem almost random and out of place.

Sacrifist

L3: Member
Nov 21, 2007
It looks great and very well done. Only problem is that it looks like 80% of all the other TF2 maps out there. Same ol', same ol'. Its not your fault, your work is great. Its Valve's fault for not releasing enough assets and maps. They really need to release some more maps so we can get more textures and models.

Dec 25, 2007
Thanks guys.

The curved roof beams are brushwork. I agree about the lack of assets - I wish there was more choice of props. I also agree that the lower level props aren't ideal... they're the third iteration of props I placed down there, and the ones I was happiest with. I might change them later, but I'd need an idea on what would improve them...

G

greenridge

looks great, few notes:

make sure you don't place props that will hinder gameplay.

perhaps you should do a secretary desk or security station underneath the flag, a la halflife1's first step off the tram.
or maybe not

the room looks functional and realistic enough, but very few players will even think about this. the reason i say this is that it looks somewhat cramped. remember how big a crit rocket splash is?

i dont think you should make any changes, because i like what you have. im just offering my first thoughts.