[wip] ctf_contact

Koei

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 23, 2008
Finally found the energy to try and finish a map. Atleast I think I have :glare:. I want to create a ctf map that actually fun playing. There are very few ctf maps that are actually fun to play, but none are perfect. So I'm giving it a shot. I like maps that are not to complex. I've got the basic layout finished. But I have no idea what to do with the middle. At the moment I have 2 small underground rooms, connected with a tunnel. You can see it here.

I have to find a way to fill up the rest. But I have no idea on how... got an idea? Share it please :love:. I could try to build a bridge from base to base, or somewhere else. I'm also thinking of deleting the glass roof in the middle and build a wooden building on a concrete foundation.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
To fill up the rest, look at how Valve detail their maps. Try downloading a decompiled version of one of their maps and opening it in Hammer, and "steal" some ideas. You should start by putting some details in unreachable areas, like where you just have grassy hills right now. Put up some fences and put something outside them. Try to make it look like the bases actually have a purpose (most of the bases in Valve's maps are either farms, industrial buildings or something like that...yours are just blocky concrete buildings) and try making them look believable.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Koei

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 23, 2008
Don't worry about that. I don't place anything that hasn't got a purpose. If there has to be a bridge it should be there for a good reason. Right now I deleted the skewed roof and build a wooden train station on top of it. But since there was no way to get heavy loads down I was forced to build an elevator ;). Anyways, when I was talking about filling up the rest I was talking about basic geometry. The map was wide open (even if I would have filled up the sides with random stuff) and to straight forward. But I figured that part out now, I'll post some screens in a couple of hours.

You are right that the bases are pretty blocky. But they are supposed to be massive bases build into the rock wall. And as usual Red and Blu build their stuff right in front of each other...with only 1 supply route ...O Dear...

edit: just deleted most of the map. Being an perfectionist it just wasn't perfect enough.

Last edited: