[WIP] ctf_center_ice

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by Fox Diller, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Fox Diller

Fox Diller L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Center Ice

A friend of mine wanted to have a TF2 map that had hockey in it somehow. As we discussed this in chat, I decided to bust open the Source SDK for the first time and plop out a map in under two weeks. This post would be on my forth day, so let me tell you I am still a newb. I'm getting most of my layout that I drew out previously with my friend the Pyro, she and her boyfriend are going to make custom models of hockey gear in the red/blue design styles set forth by Valve. I however will be in charge of the map, layout, soundscape, and lighting.

Here are some of the highlights:
    • CTF - Capture The Flag
    • Outdoor + Indoor Play
    • Large Map
    • TF2 Style Zamboni
    • Hockey Jerseys for each Class
    • Ice Effect On Rink (slippery)
    • TF2 Style Custom Hockey Models/Textures

The idea hides behind the fact that two teams play in a hockey game, and I suck most of the creativity from my memories as a child in a hockey center. This means I'm Canadian for those playing at home. The respawn room begins downstairs in the dressing rooms/showers. The main area dissolves into a computer center, supposedly calculating scores and averages. I'm trying to keep the downstairs areas mirrored and some well placed signs.

I'm open to suggestion, constructive-anything, questions, and comments. I wanted to share this WIP with you guys since I'd be a bad person if I didn't thank you guys for the help you've given me! Remember? Google introduced us.

Steps To Completion:
    • Rough Brush Map (COMPLETE)
    • Seasoning (COMPLETE)
    • Final Layout (COMPLETE)
    • Base Details (56%)
    • Rink Area + Details (INCOMPLETE)
    • Rink Stands + Sniper Blocks (INCOMPLETE)
    • Outside Details (INCOMPLETE)
    • Dance (0%)
    • Profit (-100%)

Before you dive into the images, if you need more then what I can possible CTRL+C CTRL+V into a forum go to my flickr set here, here, and here. This will be updated often.

Here be pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several Beers Later:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting annoyed:

[​IMG]

More General Stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, after all that, if you want more go here.

<3 Fox

2. Dan2025

Dan2025 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is the 9th one the hockey rink?

3. Fox Diller

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, it's just an open area right now. Stands and a rink are going in next after the downstairs areas are complete.

4. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    are those hl2 textures?
    if so, plz replace them with tf2 ones, because the hl2-tex look just completely out of place and dont fit the style

5. Fox Diller

Positive Ratings:
    I'm slowly replacing each texture as I come to them. The upstairs areas are badly textured for idea, not for final use.

6. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Your map is HUGE. Give it a walk around with heavy and see how you feel.

Don't worry, this is THE most commen mistake begginer mappers make. They run around as scout thinking everythings fine when in actual fact it's bigger than you give it credit for.

7. Fox Diller

Positive Ratings:
    Understood! I ran around the map as a heavy before. I'm going to be etching off the hyooge'ness with details. The map may look big, but as a stone carving starving artist, I'm cutting away at the hyooge'ness as I work on it. The most work right is happening in the basement. Check out the Flickr list.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  8. Galago

Galago L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Can you post an overview screenshot?