[WIP]cp_spirits

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Here's a new project, a round based CP map. Currently stage 1 alpha is done, rounds 2 and 3 are just on paper :blush:

Story : BLU has gotten intelligence about RED using and old facility located in a mountainous range. This sacred ground was later left, but the buildings weren't leveled. Now a BLU taskforce is sent to investigate and put an end to whatever evil stuff RED are about, but somehow a spy leaked the info on the impeding assaut. Looks like RED has dug themselves in and won't be an easy prey !

Setting : reddish moutain zone, with pines and grass. Thoughout the map, water will be more and more present. Round 1 is the outskirt of the base, with a small canyon and ending with a red outpost. Round 2 will feature a larger outdoor zone, with some industrial equipement, wooden catwalks and a river. Round 3 will be mostly indoor, with a mix of an old bunker and some more ancient temple, with water pouring in these lawer levels.

screens

Last edited:

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
This is, without a doubt, the least manly looking of any TF2 map I have ever seen.

So colorful and pinkish! O_O

EDIT: Since people are badgering me about it, The mix of badlands-style ground, green grasses, and the light.. light with non-saturated ambiance makes the map look very feminine to me. Map layout looks good, like the waterfall, but the color scheme.. not exactly a heavy's colors if you ask me.

Last edited:

ikem

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 8, 2008
i like it idk what patato means... but it has some great lines. i will have to playtest it to see the real layout and feel of it

btw where did u get that waterfall texture, cuz i could really use that, whoever made it would def get credit

Sep 12, 2008
Wow this looks really cool, but some of the cliff textures in the 3rd and 4rd screen look a bit too stretched out.. But really, I like the style!

DBP

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Oh, this is a cool change from the usual dirty look. You should keep the bright and cheery look in my opinion.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Funny thread start :p

About the cliffs, I've played a bit with the sunlight parameters and ended with this, since the red was too.. reddish at first and it didn't fit the more moutainous atmosphere and the grass. I'll stick with it until later release, where I'm likely to make a custom rock and grass texture to blend them together in a better fashion.

I'm still in early alpha stage (I've textured the level to adress testers complaining about dev tex :rolleyes:). I'll smothen rockes later on.

About the waterfall texture, it's homemade, an inexpensive texture using only alpha mapped transparency and speculatiry. It's applied on displacement to help add noise and interesting shapes to the stuff.

After gameplay tests yesterday, I've decided to add a new zone to widen the gap between CP 1 and 2. The layout becauses a bit more complicated, but hopefully, arrows will help players finding out what to do. I'll maybe add one way grates, but only gametest will show me if it's necessary.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Here's a quick overview of the layout.

The zone between Blue spawn and cap 1 is pretty straightforward, with 3 acces leading to canyon. After that point, the map offers more possibilities

I've marked in green the ground level routes, in red the upper level/catwalks and in blue, the lower levels/tunnels between CP 1 and the CP2/red spawn zone

Last edited:

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
That mix looks awesome. Dirt ground looks a bit repetitive but the colours looks very good, pink + green grass :thumbup:

andysss456

L2: Junior Member
Sep 28, 2008
I just ran around in the a4 version that you sent me. Here are some things i noticed:

- Pine tree fade distances are too short.
- The areaportal on the upper blue spawn exit is outside the model so you can see into the void when the door closes.
- The upper pathway door near the 2nd point opens from both sides, move the trigger brush back a bit.
- The waterfall is a bit meh, but i'm not sure how to fix it... more transparent maybe?
- The heights in a lot of the areas are way too low, like inside certain buildings or the tunnels (it feels clausterphobic).
- Make the wooden spikes walk upable like on boulder.

The layout is pretty decent, but the first point may need more paths for blue and the second point might need some slight opening up. It's a great start man, keep it up.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Since round 1 seems pretty much playable, I've just begun setting up things for round 2. It should be mostly outdoor, almost deprived of buildings. The ending will lead blu players to take over the entrance to the underground facilities to be featured in last round.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
pink + green = win

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Well, you know what I think about the pink rock + green grass mix ;) But other than that, the layout looks pretty solid, and the waterfall is a nice touch. I'm eagerly waiting for more!

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
There are places on Grand Canyon that looks exactly like that. Problem is the pine trees doesn't fit there, but you could find another trees.

Havasu%20Canyon.jpg

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
I'm going to do some ajustments to round 1 due to gameplay feedbacks

Mostly setting some objects into not solid (since I myself hate being blocked by small elements while running along walls I'd do it anyway)
And moving last CP because it's said to be too far from action. This results into both teams fighting quite far from it, which I intended at first but upsets many players.

Alas, currently, I've given promise to do a visual and gameplay update to cp_casablanca, to make use of the new Egypt content and my own progress as mapper.