[WIP] cp_secretbase

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by ZargonX, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ZargonX

ZargonX L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Been working on this map for a bit now, and felt compelled to share some early shots. This is going to be a Dustbowl-style map in 3 rounds, 2 control points per round. I'm working on it one section at a time, so I'm still on section one right now ;)

Story: Having finally located Red's secret underground island base, Blue launches a daring submarine raid to take them out once and for all. Blue begins in the submarine bay

[​IMG]

Blue will spawn inside the sub itself, with room for 16. Yes, the sub is brushwork, and I'm still working on it. Of course, if anyone wants to build me a sub model, they are more than welcome :D

[​IMG]

2. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

The first control point is in the large cargo area, which is split into two main levels, with 2 tiers of balconies surrounding it.

[​IMG]

Looking down back towards the main Blue entrance from one of the balconies.

[​IMG]

Looking up from the control point.

[​IMG]

The (currently rather sparse) control room overlooking the control point. This provides access to the highest level of balconies.

This is all still pretty early work, obviously. Working on the red spawn and the second control point in stage 1 right now (the Helipad!). And, before the flood of "Too dark!" comments, this is still pretty much unlit. Just a few "work" lights in place for the moment. Want to get the brushwork set before spending too much time on the lights.

Once I finish point B, I'll post a few more shots plus an overview so people can see the whole flow.

3. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks, good, but latest screen: roof way to low. And last screen is not so pretty as the rest. The rest also needs some dramatic lighting etc.. but you are on the good way!

4. Varadero_be

Varadero_be L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    A really good start! You still need to add a lot of details, but this gonna be great!

5. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like you're on your way to a good looking map! My only suggestions at this point would be to work with the architecture a bit more as some areas seem a bit blocky. Either that or vary the textures. You've got a lot of concrete in there and it is a bit bland. Those things combined with a bit more detail work and some more dramatic lighting and things'll really start looking nice. Of course I realize it's still a WIP, so perhaps you're already planning all those things.

Looks good so far, keep it up!

6. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, all! Yes, there is still very much a blockiness to it that I'm slowly chipping away at. I think full lighting will also make a big difference. After I wrap up the 1st section, I'm hoping to upload it to the test server for some gameplay testing to make sure the layout works in practice.

7. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, it's been a while, but I've finally gotten some more work done! First, an overhead of the entire 1st section (Red's spawn has no lighting now, clearly...)

[​IMG]

8. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    And now some random other shots of the helipad area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    Here's the re-lit and more detailed cargo bay area

[​IMG]

And the new look back at the Blue entrance tunnel...

[​IMG]

And the maintenance room with the "secret" underwater connection to the submarine dock

[​IMG]

10. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Lookin good! Lookin forward to a playable version!

11. bazola

bazola L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Looks good! I'm looking forward to the playable version.

12. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Keep in mind that TF2 tends to keep things much better lit than other games using the Source engine. Minimize those dark areas and try to light things a bit more evenly. It's tough, but very possible to strike a good balance between dramatic lighting and brighter lighting.

Looks like things are coming along well!

13. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, there are still quite a few areas that need to be lit properly (such as the control room above the helipad, for instance). I've been jumping back and forth between detail work and lighting, so that's why some things seem out of sync with others.

14. Voztron

Voztron L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is looking good, I like what you have so far.
    Just one gripe. What sort helicopter is going to land in that tight little area? I suggest you open it up a bit, add a 3D skybox, make it look like a copter could lad there.

15. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
  16. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    And an overview of the whole map...

17. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    It's been a while, but I've put a lot of work in recently and have some new screenies of the Stage 2 sections...

[​IMG]

A look into the dynamo room where Stage 2, Cap 1 sits.

[​IMG]

And looking back from the Cap point towards Blue's entrance.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  18. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    And just past that, separating the Dynamo Room from Power Control, is the chasm. Fall off that bridge, and it's a one-way trip...

[​IMG]

In addition to the bridge, there is a much safer enclosed tunnel across, and a much more dangerous path over a narrow conduit...

[​IMG]

19. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    And, finally, just another overview of the whole map from a different angle. Lots of texturing and lighting still to do, as well as detail work on many areas. Should have a new playable version up soon!

[​IMG]

20. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    After some playtesting, I've made some changes to the first area.

[​IMG]

The green arrow on the right marks a new exit from the blue spawn into the Cap1 area. The left arrow is the new hallway down from Cap1 into the rear of the helipad area (Cap2)

[​IMG]

A closer view of the Cap2 changes. In addition to the new access point, the whole area has been enlarged to open things up a bit. Was a bit too favored towards the defender previously.

[​IMG]

A quick look at the new Blue entrance into Cap1 (the Gate 1)

[​IMG]

And a quick look at the expanded Cap2 area.