[WIP]Cp_Riverside

Towkin

L1: Registered
Sep 11, 2010
Hello dear TF2 players and mappers.

This is a map I've been working on for quite some time, and still haven't finished.

About the map
Cp_riverside is a small map with four Control Points, staged a bit like cp_gravelpit. Blu is attacking, Red is defending. Three of the four Control Points are available for capture from start, but the last one requires that all previous three points captured.

The base idea was that Blu would have to cross a river, and take Red's control points. Sounds simple enough, doesn't it? Anyway, more ideas where on their way, and soon I got a... uh, map over the map in my head, quickly followed by a sketch in MS Paint. :rolleyes: I mostly evolved the map when working in hammer, and I think it worked out quite fine.

Now however, the map have actually gone quite far in the creation process, and I was hoping that I once actually would finish a project. Unfortunately, this is most likely not the case.

I got tired of the crap.

Map: Looking for mapper
Yep, that's right. The map is now without mapper. Following things are needed to be fixed: loads of detailing, a lot of balancing (might include major changes to the map itself) and releasing.

If you're interested, please post in this thread. Vmf, Bsp and screenshots can be found at: http://www.mediafire.com/?oa555f88sjxrc

I'll be checking here every now and then, trying to answer questions and stuff :)

Last edited:

tovilovan

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 23, 2008
Interesting idea, and I think it's a great idea to give someone the chance to finish off what you started.

HOWEVER, I have a feeling that this map will be really hard to balance. Some areas are way too open and some way too cramped, and the gameplay doesnt feel enough well planned to have a chance of being a fun map.

I wish luck to anyone who decides to pick this up, and hopefully we'll get more opportunities like this as well!

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I'm gonna be blunt here, I don't think anyone is willing to download a map without pics in this thread. Plus, the dl link is on Mediafire. I suggest moving your download to the TF2M servers and putting up some pics, otherwise you're not likely to get any serious help, especially since you're looking for a mapper :|

Towkin

Sep 11, 2010
Interesting idea, and I think it's a great idea to give someone the chance to finish off what you started.

HOWEVER, I have a feeling that this map will be really hard to balance. Some areas are way too open and some way too cramped, and the gameplay doesnt feel enough well planned to have a chance of being a fun map.

I wish luck to anyone who decides to pick this up, and hopefully we'll get more opportunities like this as well!

I am aware of that the map is hard to balance, probably because of the fact that not very many of the parts were planned to be as they are now, and therefore loads of things aren't taken into consideration.
One thing that I was about to do, but never did, was to add a little more height to the map. Right now, it's mostly just plain and boring, different heights can both make it more fun and you can probably balance a lot of things with that as well.

I'm gonna be blunt here, I don't think anyone is willing to download a map without pics in this thread. Plus, the dl link is on Mediafire. I suggest moving your download to the TF2M servers and putting up some pics, otherwise you're not likely to get any serious help, especially since you're looking for a mapper :|

True. I did actually add five pictures to the first post, but none of them showed up. I'll edit it and see if I can get them to show up. However, I don't think that anyone have trouble downloading and/or view stuff from Mediafire, or do someone?

EDIT: Got the screenshots working now. They do not explain very good how the map actually looks though, I would suggest checking it in Hammer and/or in-game, if you're interested as said :)

All his screenshots are there too...

It actually looks like a decent map!

Yep, the screenshots "doesn't have to be" downloaded either, there is a function on Mediafire that let you view them directly on the site.

Thanks, I have put down some work into this as said.

Last edited:

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
Can I fill this map with cows?

It's a new gametype I'm prototyping and it needs a good a/d map. I probably won't change anything huge for initial tests, just need some geometry.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Hrmph.

There goes my hope at ever finishing the map I started way back when... of the same name.

Towkin

Sep 11, 2010
Can I fill this map with cows?

It's a new gametype I'm prototyping and it needs a good a/d map. I probably won't change anything huge for initial tests, just need some geometry.

Absolutely! Do whatever you want with it :) But may I ask.. What is the objective of the gametype? I must say, sounds a bit weird, but fun!

You should probably read this so you know how to take best possible screenshots.

Oh yes, thanks. I was aware of the fact that you could remove the HUD and viewmodel, but I didn't remember the commands when making the shots, and TF2 have been crashing a lot when alt+tabbing since the engie update... Simple enough, I was to lazy to quit the game at the time. I can provide better screenies later on if you want.

Hrmph.

There goes my hope at ever finishing the map I started way back when... of the same name.

What? Have you made a map that was called cp_riverside as well?! :eek:hmy:

Hastur

Jul 30, 2010
Are we supposed to ask if we can use the map, or just go ahead and download and tinker with it?

Anyway, I'd love to tinker with it.

Towkin

Sep 11, 2010
Are we supposed to ask if we can use the map, or just go ahead and download and tinker with it?

Anyway, I'd love to tinker with it.

You're totally free to edit it in any way you want. However, if you want to release your edited version of the map, I would be glad if you could give me a lesser part in the credits, because of the fact that I created the base-map. Though, I haven't put this under CreativeCommons or anything like that, so there is no rules that officially apply to it.