[WIP] cp_pitiful

Fuzzpilz

L1: Registered
Aug 21, 2008
Hi.

Herein may be found a map-in-progress currently named cp_pitiful.

Before this I hadn't really done any mapping since the original UT, so in many ways it probably suffers from first map syndrome; but I intend to do my best to rectify any issues that aren't beyond my reach to fix. If nothing else, it'll be a helpful learning experience for whatever I try next.

Pitiful is a four-point CP map meant for relatively small teams - up to 6 vs. 6, perhaps - and is built on the following gimmick: capturing the other team's base doesn't win the round but unlocks the lower central point in the pit (hence the horrible name), capturing which ends the game. In the meantime the other team has a chance of recapping their base, if they're fast or you're inattentive.

Real playtesting has been difficult; it's not easy to get enough people together for this sort of thing, so I'm still not sure how it actually plays with more than four people in it.

Some problems I know about:

- it's all built around a corner instead of in a line, which leads to some asymmetry in which way each team has to go around corners - considering the way projectile weapons work, this could be a balance problem. Currently it switches teams on round end to somewhat alleviate this. This could get confusing, unfortunately.

- the point layouts are rather simple right now. I'm still trying to figure out if I can do anything more interesting to the base points, and if and where the map might benefit from some sheds or something outside.

- there are still a few places where hugging the wall causes you to run into a strut or something, I haven't gotten around to putting playerclip brushes quite everywhere they're needed yet.

- many many visual/detailing insufficiencies, starting but certainly not ending with, urgh, the texture coordinates on the outdoor displacements (I might have to scrap and redo them entirely. Note to self: the subdivide command is not your friend or anybody's).

Screenshots:

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
It's looking pretty good. The rock wall in the second screenshot seems to have a distorted texture. When you're working with displacements, try to keep all the verticies about evenly spaced to stop that from happening. Seems a bit big and stretched out too, maybe even scale it down a bit. With big rock walls I usually do something around .6 to .9

Fuzzpilz

L1: Registered
Aug 21, 2008
It's looking pretty good. The rock wall in the second screenshot seems to have a distorted texture. When you're working with displacements, try to keep all the verticies about evenly spaced to stop that from happening. Seems a bit big and stretched out too, maybe even scale it down a bit. With big rock walls I usually do something around .6 to .9

Like I said, that's something I need to work on, but I'm concerned more with layout than with visuals right now. The unfortunate spacing of the vertices is mostly due to my having used the Subdivide tool on the displacements; big mistake, that. I'll get around to fixing it in time.