[wip] cp_oilrig * beta 3 release

Nosher

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 3, 2008
Garbage

This, mate, is a stunningly good map - you have obviously spent time thinking about the 'balance' for the different classes - some of the details are really good.

The idea of an oil rig (still couched in the TF2 theme) is inspired and when I saw your first WIP I cursed you!! "Why didn't I think of that!"

Sky looks awesome, the ship and an oil rig in the distance, looks really neat.

The water in the B3 version looks really good and I don't think you should change it - its just eye candy (and sweet at that) and certainly doesn't look out of place - in fact it really enhances it....

The only niggles I have is simply a case of a bit more player clip to be placed to negate hiccups when running about....

...also, this is a 'solo' run around - I just can't WAIT to see this ingame on a full server.

I think this and Siege (by Velvet) have ignited in me a 'CP playing' interest in TF2 again.

Good work mate
Keep us posted!
Nosh.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Scale Up The Water And It Will Look Perfect! :O

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
I'm currently finishing up the next version so there will be some playtesting later this day. Do we have game days this weekend? Didn't see a thread so far.

I'm going to open a new thread with more information and screenshots later...
Still have to add all the doors, some game logic and do some optimization

ColdFire

L2: Junior Member
Mar 11, 2008
There are some things I'd like to see fixed for the b4, as I love this map

First, maybe a way to limit sentries on the building on top of A? If reds put 3 engies or more with level3 sentries, even with several uber-demos it's quite impossible to take the point.

Now, bug report:

Some bars appear next to the passageway door on A when you open spawn's door:

The bars

And this spawn door is the cause

When you go from B to C, you can't pass on the first floor door even if it's open IF the ground door is open

I can't go through...

Because when open, the ground door blocks the top one!

Maybe unbalanced: put sentries on the crosses and C is really too hard to be taken
I'd like to have one more path to C

Can't jump by this fence T_T It would be fun to be able to. And snipers can shoot you from spawn

Some friends reported they sometimes get stuck in this barrel

You can't rocket jump here, but I'd love to be able to stand there:

You can sometimes skywalk from here on A using a rocket jump

And the last thing: oilrig_b3 is in my mapcycle for weeks now, we love it even if there are some things to fix. The big problem is if there are too many red engies building sentries on the "building" roof next to A, it's quite impossible to take A. Maybe you could find a way to restrict how many engy objects can be built there?

And what about allowing to take B before A, like in Gravel Pit?
Thank you

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I would love to try this. I had this idea of a map too, only it's a complete blue oilrig and red comes with the boats to take it over.
Untill I heard somebody made an oilrig map already that actually looks pretty nice!!!
Submit for gameday please :)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
This map is almost impossible to win. Red just spam sentries EVERYWHERE and no amount of ubers can take them all down long enough so that you can capture the point.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
thanks for the bug report ColdFire I knew about all those things and they are fixed. I'm still thinking about that Gravelpit style where you can capture A or B first.

Oh I had that idea with the boats, too. Would be even greater if one team could be flown in by helicopter - I'd love to do that. Both of those ideas would involve some modelling and scripting but it's the modelling I don't want to spend time with right now. I'm planing something similar for my next project.

A blue oil rig would fit much better with the tf2 theme because blu has all those orthogonal forms and industrial materials but that's what I realized too late.

still working on the version for testing, will be playable within the next few hours...

Leite

L1: Registered
Aug 19, 2008
Idk about game play and balance, but, awwe, she's a pretty map. Keep doin what'ca doin.