[WIP]cp_cargo_hold

soup!

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2008
This is the first map i have ever made, so please bear with me :(.

The idea behind this map was that we need some VERTICAL action. So many maps are just flat "ehemehemhefastlane" and i think that a bit of vertical play would be fun. Now I wanted to make this map accessible to all classes so somethings may seem a bit odd at first.

Before I get to the actual map itself, i'll tell you the story behind it.

RED has stolen some of BLU's cargo and taken it to a location. BLU is now trying to get back their cargo, while RED wants to keep it and sell it for money.

From the back story you can see this map is gonna be attack/defend. There will be 3 points however you must cap the points in order, which would be A, B, then C. I have already gotten the first point almost finished, and i'll show you guys some screenies.

cp_cargo_hold0005.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0000.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0001.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0002.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0003.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0004.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0006.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0007.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0008.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0009.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0010.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0011.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0012.jpg

cp_cargo_hold0013.jpg

13 screenies, showing the layout and some crappy displacement work :(. I'd like some critic. The map is meant for smaller games like 6vs6 and 8vs8. Right now i only have the first point done the second and third will probably be inside the red base.

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
You clearly have some good brushwork skills. I'd recommend you quickly shift gears into figuring out how to seal everything in. For example, rocky walls or un-enterable buildings.

Second, don't worry about displacements at this stage. Just use brushes at angles that will approximate the terrain difference you are going for. I've spent many hours tweaking a displacement and getting it to look awesome only to throw it away later when something else isn't working out how I wanted it.

If you don't have an idea of how the other stages will look now is also a good time to stop hammer work and sit back with a pen and paper. Think a lot about dustbowl and the way they position spawns in relation to each stage. The first stage defender spawn turns into the second stage attacker spawn. Think about how each arena is defined, and how they are separated.

Also... forget lighting for now. That is a polishing step, and any work you do now will most likely be abandoned later. Your primary goal right now should be completing the layout and brushwork.

soup!

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2008
thanks for the advice, I already have the 2nd and 3rd CP in my mind, I just have to draw them out first. (yes i did draw everything out by pen and paper first.) I would upload the concept art but it is REALLY messy and shit.

again thanks for the advice.
Also the spawn rooms will be like gravel pit because there are not different rounds, it's just one round of attack and then one round of defense.

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
Good start, but it's not really necessary to post so many screenshots. The last one would have been enough.