WIP cp_Bunker

Bot 2

L1: Registered
Jun 23, 2008
Guys im realy in trubble trying to make a nice TF2 feel for my map. any tips on "how to think" ... ;)

im far from done coz i dont want to post a picture of my map here when it looks like a bad HL texture... altho i can give you guys an idea of what im trying to acompliss with my first creation.

"Red= defend Blue=attack" just like dustbowl setup... (and im having problems figuering out these entety setups... might be im just "slow"..:blush:

3 CP, 1= roof close to blue´s spawn "hard to defend" 2= inside the bunker lv 1 (avrage defense capabilities.) 3= inside the lowest room in the bunker easy to defend and closest to the red base.

This map is going to contain tunnels/airdukts/narrow korridors/ and a big grand pipe system. for the last room.

All in all im hoping the gameplay is going to be awsum on it.. and not the other way around...

more info on a later basis with screenes etc.
(exuse my spelling :blushing: "hope its understandeble atleast...)

Géza!

L4: Comfortable Member
May 12, 2008
I think you should post pictures even though they are ugly. As long as we don't know how it looks, we can't have ideas about how it should look.

Bot 2

Jun 23, 2008
Here are some screenes of the "first CP" i would like to have a big cliff on the area that dosnt have "anything... just sky..." but im having trubble with that to... hope this is TF2 tuni enough... the lower lv´s of this map are still under construction im not sure how i want em... so i take one section first of. to get approved by you guys. remember this is my first map ever... and im a total noob in hammer,. D:

[BTW. anyone know what to do... "it seems that my TestMap is not uppdating the map no more" when i want to go into the game and se how it is... anyone know whats wrong ? altho in the save its alterd. "the camera veiw in hammer"

Last edited:

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008

[BTW. anyone know what to do... "it seems that my TestMap is not uppdating the map no more" when i want to go into the game and se how it is... anyone know whats wrong ? altho in the save its alterd. "the camera veiw in hammer"

check your compile log. I guess there's some error in your map that causes vbsp or vvis to not compile the new map.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah, you have a leak so it won't compile. Go to map>load pointfile and it'll show you a leak, if it happens again you have another and so on....

I think you need to add more buidlings, less storage containers. Buildings will break up the view distance and can help optiimizse the map if done right (think in terms of 'hallways' and small rooms'. Sure it might be 'outside' but hammer doesn't know that. You need to build rooms and give them the illusion of outside.
Right now it looks like you're kindof stuck in the "I need one big square outside to put stuff in" rut. Don't worry, that's probably the hardest one to overcome. But the containers won't block view and that's a fairly large area if alot of things are going on at once.
Also, ading buildings around the edges can give players corners to hide in, things to look at etc....

As far as valve mindset, looking at their levels on a dead server will give you good ideas.
Alot of buildings are VERY tall and some very skinny, just to stick out and be noticed. More cartoony that way too. If you build realistically it doesn't fit TF2 much. Think outlandish to a degree. Does this building need to be 100 feet tall so I can put one window up top? No, but it might look good. Look at 2Fort, there are some buildings like this in front.

Bot 2

Jun 23, 2008
here is a few more screenes from the map. Notice that
#red spawn need some work.
#Last cP has some texture buggs... im gonna put some more lights there. hope that sorts it out..
#Entrance. feels good but the funky shadows on the ceeling looks wierd.
# Random way "to the right".. looks nice but feels a bit empty any ideas welcome on that point.
# Pipeway is through the "redlight" you can se on the random way pic.

Btw. what couses the Purple sheckers pattern on some stuff on the map. a good pic is the last cp. i have that prob. with all the cp/s :confused:

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
The purple checker pattern is when you havent made the cubemaps for a level yet and the level has reflective or shiny textures.

Throw some Env_cubemap entities around your map, compile it, then use the following method in-game:

Youme said:
Propper method:
-load the map
-mat_specular 0
-buildcubemaps
-disconnect
-mat_hdr_level 0
-map <mapname>
-buildcubemaps
-disconnect
-mat_specular 1
-mat_hdr_level 2
-relooad map and enjoy

Bot 2

Jun 23, 2008
Im having a problem with the Round timer. i just added it to my map. by doing the step by step on "http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2/Round_time" im encountering a problem, the timer is stuck on the value i gave it and dosnt count down.. i probobly misst something but im freash out of ideas.. :(