[WIP] cp_backfire

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by cornontheCoD, Jul 29, 2008.

1. cornontheCoD

cornontheCoD L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    ok, well this is the map that we have been working on. the original thread is named "attack and defend by 3 people". so now I made a new one with the official new name

here is Albobo's original post:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

and here is my stuff

Stage 3 early screenshots:

This is a sneak peek at stage 3.

I know the skybox is bad, it is just temporary. I couldnt get it to compile on normal, so this is the worse-looking "fast" compile

here is the layout.
    [​IMG]

looking at blu spawn from wooden cabin
    [​IMG]

first cap inside the wooden cabin
    [​IMG]

looking at RED spawn and cap 2
    [​IMG]

there is also an underground part in both parts of the stage (cap 1 and cap 2). they are not connected though. I did not take pics of it because it is currently "under construction":p

I havent added lighting or anything yet, this is just a quick sneak peek for anyone interested.

2. nossie

nossie L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    hmm backfire i prefer that rather then "attkdefndby3peeps" lolz

anyway i would of put pics of my stage but all my displacments screwwed up and i get a error spammed in the console so gotta fix that then ill post the screenies :)

3. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Played it, seemed pretty balanced offense/defense-wise after we got some players in.

the tunnel route at the first point which leads to the ceiling of the second took me a couple rounds before I even realized it was there.

Im wondering how you plan on making a building that oddly shaped into something realistic, looking forward to seeing it post-orange.

I also love the fact the almost all the buildings you can get on top of, but the surrounding cliffs need serious player clipping.

4. cornontheCoD

Positive Ratings:
    wow, my screenshots look horrible. I guesss thats because its on low settings. my next ones will be on high settings.

5. nossie

Positive Ratings:
    lol yeh probably would be better in high settings

also my map still wont compile properly... im gonna have to slowly remove stuff and find out what is screwing it up...
    all i did was plug the map with nodraw... add gates and a few entities... they cant stuff displacements up can they?...
    if anyone wants to give me ideas on why it screwed up please tell me :p

6. Paddymazz

Paddymazz L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I like it, Looks good so far.

Just remember to add more detail as you go along (Prop wise).
    The brush work is looking fine, now all it needs is attention to details with more props placed about.

Nice work though, Keep it up!

7. nossie

Positive Ratings:
    i got my map fixed... i have a feeling it was some ents i added. ill try and post screenies in the next day or 2

8. cornontheCoD

Positive Ratings:
  9. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    so...i got some testing in today and got some rather unpleasant results...
    too big being the only truly important concern in my opinion

but yeah...now I require info from gameday more then ever, need to make sure that it is still too big with a full server, 8 people might not be the best basis

10. Spacemonkeynz

Spacemonkeynz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    5 hours, it shouldn't take so long.

My computer is pretty old, but a normal compile on pl_cave only takes 30 minutes. My times are like this
    BSP < 1 minute
    VIS < 1 minute
    RAD ~ 30 minutes

What are you times like?

11. cornontheCoD

Positive Ratings:
    everything off (RAD, etc.) is about 20 sec.

everything on fast compile is about 10 minutes/5 minutes.

it gets stuck on portalfow on the normal compile. you know how it does the countdown? 1...2..., etc. each one of the dots took 15 minutes on portalflow!

anyone wanna help me? Im pretty sure its an optimization problem, but I thought optimization would only effect the map post-compile

in fact, I bet the people at interlopers know. I'll go ask...

12. nossie

Positive Ratings:
    lol coron optimization yes is mainly in game but it always helps the compiling coz u "get rid " of vis leafs and things like that which make it easier. so say u have 2 rooms with a doorway the compiler will probably screw it up with the door. so instead u make put a portal brush (forget wat it is... :p) which then makes it the 2 seperate rooms with a door in the middle no vis leafs going threw... i think... :p well thats my understanding of optimization.. if im wrong please correct me

13. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    This is interesting. I'd love to see how this turns out, making one stage per person is something I've never seen before.

As for the long compile times, I think making lots of your brushes (not those that seal the map, though) into func_detail brushes helps a lot alone. Of course, there's more you could do, but my experience ends there. :p

14. cornontheCoD

Positive Ratings:
    well, I am currently working on ways to get the compile time down. here are the notes I jotted down from gameday. this is mainly for albobo to see, but i'll put mine here too as a reminder for me:

Round 1:
    signage needed
    too big/too easy for snipers
    needs more spy places

Round 3:
    fix that chokepoint that everyone was comlplaining about. honestly, I didn't even think about that part.
    better playerclips
    fix red forward spawn and make it bigger
    signage for red team (how could I forget that?)

15. nossie

Positive Ratings:
    can i inquire as to which chokepoint? was it the one coming out of the 1st cp going into the wide open corridor thingy?

16. cornontheCoD

Positive Ratings:
    yeah it was that one.

I am adding 2 new paths and will see how that works out. one is above the normal path, extended on the cabin's deck, going through the big building. it will have stairs for red to go up on it. the other one is all the way on the far side, and has a gate that only opens once the first CP is capped.

I got RED's forward spawn fixed, but the game still ends when RED wins, so I need to figure that out. I also brought the playerclips all the way to the top, touching the skybox, and added some needed ones. I also func_detailed more things. I just need to fix the red winning thing and finish my new paths and it should be ready for the next gameday!

17. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    phew...im finally back...and I got absolutely zero mapping done while gone ;)

the issues with my section is basically everything I knew already and just needed confirmed when there are more then 8 people in the game
    I know where the signs are needed and will add them at some point...

But I have a question...with 8 people the area outside the cap buildings is basically unused regarding combat and the heavy defense is done inside, a single uber can blow that apart, so i need some ideas on how to create some believable defense points out in the open without falling into my standard of too easily defended buildings...examples are great

and...were there any issues with scouts?
    oh and since ive been out for a week, ive had alot of time to think of ways to fix up the large thing, ill be mainly working on that for now

18. nossie

Positive Ratings:
    ok guys i finally got around to taking screenies :) after all the leaks then teh setup doors screwed over and shit. ALSO i remembered about 5 mins after i climbed into bed that i forgot to make the pics max settings :( but use ur imaginations anyway :p

begining area blue spawn is below and left (Through the rocks) and that sky above is going to be a sorta hole in the cave roof... if you get what i mean.. hard to explain :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the hut that u saw in the picture before. looking towards cp1
    [​IMG]

inside the cp top floor
    [​IMG]

bottom floor
    [​IMG]

entrance 2 2nd cp after tunnels
    [​IMG]

same as pic b4 except a bit further back cp is on the left
    [​IMG]

inside the building before. bottom floor
    [​IMG]
    (yes i no thats a model texture.. i forgot =\

top floor of the same building
    [​IMG]

building near the 2nd cp
    [​IMG]

upstairs of building before
    [​IMG]

above the 2nd cp red spawn is on the right
    [​IMG]

bunker sort of thing (like dustbowl stage 3 cp 1)
    [​IMG]

and a overhead pic :)
    [​IMG]

i hope i havent missed anything =\ anyway suggestions?

nossie :)

PS i hope to get this playtested soon

19. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    That ramp in front of the health and ammo pickups looks really steep!

Maybe it's just a funny angle?

20. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    for the long portal vis times, just func_brush ALOT more. lemme get you a hammer pic comparing my map with and without func_details. just a sec