[WIP] cp_Albatross

CakesOnAPlane

L1: Registered
Aug 7, 2008
Well, the basics first. It's a Gravelpit style cp map with a desert(ish) theme (suprise suprise :p). The name Albatross has nothing to do with the map, I just like it. My last map was more of a fun map and a learning process, luckily it didn't turn out bad, but neither was it amazing. Although it's still not finished, I felt like trying something new and more serious.

So, after putting my design down on paper, I began mapping. I'm not going to bother scanning in the plan because it is honestly a mess of scribbles.
I like to detail things as I go along because I find it fun. It would probably be alot more beneficial to get the overall layout done first but oh well.

Since you can't really comment on the layout as of yet, have a look at these pics and tell me what you think of the looks.

I only started it a few days ago, so I haven't got alot to show, just the BLU spawn area and the tunnel to B. I haven't built cubemaps yet so there's some pink, but not too much. Anyway, enough of me talking, lets see the pics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This first pic is an overview of the BLU spawn area, with the tunnel to B on the left and A on the right. I plan on having a setup time, with the gates over the entrances to the tunnels, so I've tried to give people something to look at.
blu_spawn_panorama.jpg

Inside the BLU spawn building, with the camera just infront of the resupply locker.
blu_spawn_inside_seed.jpg

The next 2 pics are of the A tunnel entrance, which I've sealed with the black tools texture incase you thought it was just really dark ;)
a_tunnel_entrance.jpg

a_tunnel_side_buildings.jpg

And on the other side, the entrance to the B tunnel, which I have made.
b_tunnel_entrance.jpg

b_tunnel_entrance_detail.jpg

Finally (for now), the B tunnel itself. Which imo looks a bit bare, though tell me what you think.
b_tunnel_ceiling_view.jpg

b_tunnel_window_detail.jpg

b_tunnel_pipe_view.jpg

So that's it for now, again all criticism is welcomed and I suppose I could scan in my layout later if you want, but for now, just tell me what you think about the looks since this is the main area I'm trying to improve on over my last map.

P.S - Just realised that I have forgotten to make some of those roofs displacements, I'll do that and put it in the next update.

I will be updating it as regularly as possible, but I'll probably only show areas when they are almost finished.

Thanks for reading :)

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
It looks very promising!
The roof beam things here has to be replaced though!

Psyphil

L3: Member
Nov 6, 2007
looking good so far but usually BLU spawns in blu-themed buildings and areas

yes the b tunnel looks a little empty but detailing can always be done later when you have made the rest of the areas

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
Looking very good so far. I'm excited about this, since we definitely need some more quality Gravelpit style maps. :) One more pass for detailing should help quite a bit. Add some grass/rocks closer to the walls away from the paths, and stuff like that. To make the name more appropriate, I'd suggest coming up with a couple of albatross themed overlays/decals that you can scatter around the map... probably around C would make the most sense. :)

CakesOnAPlane

Aug 7, 2008
I've just finished the tunnel to A, and I'm tweaking the layout of A but I have decided to redesign B since I'm not happy with it as it is. Hopefully I can get as much done in these 2 weeks as I can, because I'll have alot of free time until then.

To make the name more appropriate, I'd suggest coming up with a couple of albatross themed overlays/decals that you can scatter around the map... probably around C would make the most sense. :)

Wow, great idea! Looks like my name might not be so random after all:p. Myabe it could be a codename for an experiment? I'll see what I can rustle up in photoshop...

The roof beam things here has to be replaced though!

You're right, they have been replaced, thanks for the tip.

looking good so far but usually BLU spawns in blu-themed buildings and areas

yes the b tunnel looks a little empty but detailing can always be done later when you have made the rest of the areas

Thanks for the thoughts, some more BLU-themed props and decals might help, though I'm inclined to keep the main structures the same.

Helpful responses so far, keep them coming please :)

CakesOnAPlane

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, update on how A is coming along, it doesn't look very pretty atm, but I'll do that once the main layout is sorted. I've made some annotations on the pics to try and help explain stuff. So here it is:

First 3 are of the tunnel:

gate_from_tunnel.jpg

tunnel_gate_behind.jpg

tunnel_raised_section.jpg

On the last pic, the raised platform allows scouts, soldiers, demomen and engis in [if they jump on a dispenser]

Now onto the cap point itself:

overview.jpg

shackdescription.jpg

gate_from_cap.jpg

cap_design.jpg

Well thats it so far, it's not much but I ended up redesigning the whole area. I will be adding:

- Something on the cap, possibly similar to the gravelpit c building.
- More props and stuff for spies and pyros to hide behind
- Railings on the ramp going around the middle rock thing? [still undecided]

Problems:

My main concern is that it is too small, and would not perform well with alot of people and I'm considering expanding the area and adding something else.

Please post some thoughts, especially about the size of the area. Do you think it would be too small?

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
While the tunnels look a little barren, the gameplay at the points look interesting. Don't forget to add health packs and ammo in strategic places. If you think the point is too small, add some cover, and try to open it up a little. For instance, under your intended building, you can have another building or something. Free it up a little, don't try to choke the map and centralized the point. While putting the point in the building was a wise move (it is higher than the surrounding environment, telling players where to go) don't forget to put some more spaces for fluidity.

One way to solve the tunnel being barren is to add small crates and just add some props. A few lights on the walls, a poster or two, and some arrows would be good.

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
Can't you upload the map, the floor master server got a really high ping for Europe?

CakesOnAPlane

Aug 7, 2008
Ok thanks for the responses, I'm gonna take the advice here to finish the layout and start testing it. Shouldn't take too long but I'll keep posting updates. I can get an ok ping on tf2f so I suppose I could play, I would prefer to test it with better pings but it's not too much of a problem, since it's the other people's feedback that matters and tf2f generally tends to be quite full when I've been on... Anyway, back to hammer for me :)