[WIP] CP Obstacle Course

Brandished

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 19, 2008
I've been working on the layout for this one for a while and still haven't made quite right. So, far there are "challenges" for the engineer, scout, soldier, demoman, medic, heavy, and sniper. It is horribly optimized at the moment, and very, very basic, but here is a the current progress...

completemap_a30004.jpg
completemap_a30005.jpg

completemap_a30006.jpg
completemap_a30007.jpg

http://dumpedimage.com/?batch=450

bsp file:
http://www.sendspace.com/delete/8ougsg/k65uo

I've hit a bit of a brick wall making up challenges, all I've done recently is attempt to make it more playable (removie overlapping brushes, etc). There is some glitching in the water areas, but the map should load. As I'm still working on the structure of the map, it's full bright with little to no props and mostly dev textures.

Last edited:

DrHaphazard

Jan 6, 2008
Well be forwarned Brandished that there are some people here who are very opposed to these kinds of maps.

On other news, I was wondering how exactly you did these challenges, since theres no way to filter damage/classes that i know of. Are these voluntary challenges so that a person needs to change to a engineer to do the engineer jumping on the sg routine?

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Meeeeh ok... but at least make it awesomely good looking if you can. And if this is one of your first maps, see this as practice :)
But no lighting even in an orange map is not very good, ram a light_environment in it ;)

Brandished

Jan 19, 2008
The main reason it looks ugly is because I haven't decided on the final layout yet. I didn't want to put a lot of detail into it only to have to completly restructure it when I found the layout didn't work. Once I have something I like, I plan on adding a lot of lighting, texture, and prop work (the beta version won't have any dev textures).

The challenges use no class filtering. I used func_breakables, and brush layout to limit the obstacles to certain classes. The engineer route requires building teleporters, dispensers, and a sentry gun to get through. To limit it to the engineer I made the holes in the wall just big enough for the engie to build a teleporter exit on the other side, no other class can get through. At the end of each obstacle is a button that opens up the path towards next one.

My main inspiration behind this map was to force the each side to use teamwork to get to the capture point in the middle, the better the teams work together the faster they reach the point. I mostly play on pubs and rarely see a lot of teamwork going on there, so I started making this map to try and change that (uphill battle, I know).

It's just been fairly time consuming making a teamwork based map when the playtesters have been me and some bots I've spawned...