[WIP Concept] pl_Triple

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
This is just a very short concept map that I'm making during my other project.

The name pretty much gives away the idea behind the map. instead of there being a single cart to push through 3 stages, there are 3 carts to push all at the same time. In theory, to make it easier to defend, it has been set into a gravel pit esque set-up. Both routes 1 and 2 need to be half completed in order for route C to become fully open.

pictures:
t3.png

All 3 bombs end up in this trench at the end.

t2.png

The control point at the bottom, is the first control point of route 1, the red building on the right, on the higher level is the gate house which denies the 3rd cart from moving to the first capture point of it's route.

t1.png

The top left of the photo shows the gate house again, this can be reached via pushing the cart on the left. the route shown in the previous photo can be achieved via pushing the middle cart. the cart on the right, when pushed will open the wall that is blocking the cart in a nice flashy animation, which can be made for a good ambush set-up.

HOWEVER.
Unfortunately, there are a few bugs in this, which I have no idea how to fix.
1) The spawns. Red spawns in blue base along with blues or blues spawn in red base with reds, despite the fact I have made two different spawn points and set them to there representative teams. - I've tried deleting the spawn room brush, as well as deleting the Spawn points themselves and recreating them. neither seemed to have any effect.
2) When I capture the first point on route 2, it also captures the first point of route 3. When I push the 3rd cart along the third route and it reaches the first capture point on this route (Provided that all the other routes are fully captured) the game ends, as it believes all the capture points have been captured. I've checked the coding for the second point, which I assume is the problem, and there is no apparent problem there. (A side note, this does not happen when I capture the second point of the second route, and it does not happen on route 1 or 3)

For the time being, I'll be leaving the map untextured, as I merely intended this map to be a concept for the idea, to see if it would work in game play.

If you'd like to see the VMF, send me a PM.

credit to Youme, for the awesome red and blue dev textures.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, that the carts don't perfectly align with the track, although, this is a minor problem, and didn't appear to be fixed when I moved the cart in hammer. My guess is, either move the track, move the props, or, possibly changing the size of all the brush entities for each of the trains.

Last edited:

Dan2025

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2008
What happens when one of the bombs are completed but the other two aren't? Does everything blow up and red have to continue defending with a partially blown up base?

Forthex

L2: Junior Member
Aug 2, 2008
great idea! however, I am a little worried/curious about:

1) The HUD layout. It looks confusing.
2) Why would you want a pl map that is "easier to defend" when goldrush is supposed to be "balanced" but RED wins 80+% of the time?

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
great idea! however, I am a little worried/curious about:

1) The HUD layout. It looks confusing.
2) Why would you want a pl map that is "easier to defend" when goldrush is supposed to be "balanced" but RED wins 80+% of the time?

1)Yeah, the HUD layout is confusing, but I dunno any other way on how to do it. at the moment it does work, but it kinda goes up and down the bar like crazy when your pushing one cart and another cart is rolling back
2) I didn't mean easier to defend as a total map, I mean it as in easier to defend against two moving carts compared to three moving cart. Because like in gravel pit, if blue attack 2 points at the same time, red are put under pressure, and often only stop 1 point from being capped, or at least in my experience that's what happens.

What happens when one of the bombs are completed but the other two aren't? Does everything blow up and red have to continue defending with a partially blown up base?

The bombs wait in the trench, and then would blow up when all three are there. currently, I have not done any of the explosions, again, I don't know how to do them.

Last edited: