[WIP] arena_spacehangar

Psyphil

L3: Member
Nov 6, 2007
I've made this arena mainly for small playercounts like 1on1 or 2on2, it's supposed to be taken place in a spaceship's shuttlebay. All the arena setup is on default (captime, time to enable the cappoint etc.) It's still in alphastage but as I see it now I don't think I'll be doing any layout changes, just detail it, make a 3d skybox, texture..

Is there anybody who knows if the consoles have been made with neutral textures? (not red or blue) It doesn't really fit to have red consoles in the middle of the map..

I will upload the map tonight when I have time.
EDIT: Here's the map, http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=806

And sorry for the pictures with hud and tournamentmode and everything, I forgot how to disable them :p

Here is the blu spawn, it's inspired from the star trek teleporterroom xD
As you see the textures isn't really right atm.
arenaspacehangarq63el1.jpg

Here's a bad picture of the layout.
arenaspacehangarq64vd0.jpg

Here yuo see the red consoles I was talking about. In the small open rooms there are 2 small healthpacks witch I'm not sure if I should keep..
arenaspacehangarq61yp2.jpg

Those bridges are as high up as the 2 containers standing on each other in granary.
arenaspacehangarq62bl8.jpg

And this bridge is possible to get up to with only 1 rocketjump if you're a good soldier, it's also possible to get here as a scout if you stand on the consoles when you jump.
arenaspacehangarq67us9.jpg

arenaspacehangarq65bh4.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Is that the gman in the doorway on the left in the bottom picture?

Psyphil

Nov 6, 2007
That is a soldier (friend testing the map) :p

The one comment I get is something about gman lol D::p

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I find it pretty dissapointing that so many arena maps are just basicly killboxes....
They aren't the same thing, yours is a big box with a few details but if you look at lumberyard and ravine you'll see they are much larger with a much more interesting layout than just a box with spawnrooms.
I mean just look at arena_badlands, nothing like a big box. :(

Psyphil

Nov 6, 2007
well I agree with you that it's funnier to play arenas as lumber, ravine and badlands but only when about 4v4 or more. This map is about as big as granary'ss middlepoint and granary's area fits the 1v1, 2v2 kind of play much more, I think playing 1v1 demoman or soldier on ravine or badlands is pretty booring because of the long distances. That's what I want to prevent with making it a bit smaller 'box'

HojoTheGreat

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 11, 2008
I believe Youme's point, however, is that while you're map does cater towards smaller amounts of players, it's still VERY linear. You've basically just created 1/4th of a map, and duplicated it to fit each corner.

What makes lumberyard and ravine interesting and fun is that the left route and the right route are completely different from one another. Also adding multiple levels accessible by all classes, not just soldiers, demomen and scouts, adds a LOT of playability. Otherwise it's just another 1v1 Unreal Tournament map.

And for the record, laziness is not a good quality in a mapper. Take your time before releasing screenshots and do a quick google search to find the commands you need to remove the in game hud.

Turn on Cheats (only works on a local server, or one with cheats enabled):
sv_cheats 1 (0 to turn off)
Turn off HUD :
cl_drawhud 0 (1 to turn on)

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Remove the watermarks as well or at least make them less intrusive!

Psyphil

Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for the feedback, in fact I'm on my way adding 2 new entrances and now only the top walk will be restricted to scouts/demos/soldier.

cl_drawhud 0, better remember the cl_ cus I always forget :(

what's watermarks?

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I meant the huge "PSY PHIL HUGE HORRIBLE YELLOW GRADIENT BAR" at the bottom. :p

If you still want it to be marked then simply use your avatar.

Psyphil

Nov 6, 2007
haha ok w8ing with them until the final release is probably a good idea :)

next update will not be so rushed, without hud, and without 'watermarks'.
Just as you like it :D