[WIP]arena_pokemon_stadium

ChickenHunter

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 12, 2008
like the title says. im making a map based of pokemon stadium. So far everything is going smoothly right up until i found a leak. so now im trying to fix that.
Anyway pics:
picture.php
picture.php

those stands were placeholders and are now actually pretty.
heres a link to the files so if anyone can figure it out
http://drop.io/p8e75tq

Last edited:

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Lol is all i can say xD

Replace demo nades to pokeballs lol

[INC] Zodiac

L1: Registered
Sep 20, 2008
It looks good to be in Team Fortress 2. It'll be better if you actually had the textures and prefabs from the Pokemon Stadium game for the N64 though.

ChickenHunter

Feb 12, 2008
musics.jpg

newsize.jpg

So we had a playtest at our server and found out that as usual snipers ruin the map. so to compensate i halfed the map and added protective fences (second pic)
Also as a treat i added a few more songs :D

However it quite isnt working. Whenever i try to change the songs with the buttons the game slows down severely and the song does not start. so roadblock there.

if you know how to fix this heres a link to vmf stuff http://drop.io/pksdb2a
until then im going to try to figure this out

Username

L2: Junior Member
Aug 26, 2008
Hm. Have you thought about having the fields change, a la Smash Bros?

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
it would be epic if every five minutes or so the grass field flipped and turned into a rock field, or opened up into a water field.

Captain Planet

Oct 13, 2008
that wouldn't even be to hard to make, with some track trains.
Only that the capture point has to stay in the same place

Username

Aug 26, 2008
If anything, you could just make a few themed arenas, and have them raise up out of the ground.

Banni

Aug 26, 2008
Rather than adding those fences to keep the snipers under control, how about this: Change that huge flat pokeball image in the centre into a raised dome. It would only have to be maybe 100 units high at the centre (its peak).
See my badly-photoshopped image for a better explanation. The dome should be just high enough to block the view of a sniper (drawn as the green guy on my image) from shooting an opponent stood in the same position at the other end of the map. That would mean they could still be effective in controlling the capture point, but couldn't completely spawn-kill enemies as they come up out the of tunnel.

Cat™

Oct 16, 2008
Alright, we played through this one today in testing and all I can say is that it's a killer sniperfest. And aside from being a killer sniperfest it is just shooting each other inside of a box. Once we realized that leaving your spawn room was instant death we just set up sentries inside the spawn and waited to mow down the other team. There's no real tactical element to the map at all, you either die immediately from sniper fire or jump around a big wide open space trying to pick each other off.

It would have been more interesting if you could get up into the seating by rocket jumping but not even that was allowed so you were restricted to your wide open square and the gameplay value and novelty music died fast. The rounds lasted less than a minute and after one round each side we quickly moved on to the next map.

As to how you can improve this I'm not really sure, I would definitely add some more detail into the area in which you are battling, perhaps some side passages that wrap around the actual arena so you aren't all running straight into the line of fire. More interesting things would be locker rooms to each side of the arena with passages between the spawn and those also, but pretty much ANYTHING other than just being one big box would be an improvement.

EDIT: OH, forgot to mention, the music got annoying super-fast. I know someone here posted that it would be epic to have pokemon music playing in the background but it kind of wasn't very epic at all, just irritating.

ChickenHunter

Feb 12, 2008
Alright, we played through this one today in testing and all I can say is that it's a killer sniperfest. And aside from being a killer sniperfest it is just shooting each other inside of a box. Once we realized that leaving your spawn room was instant death we just set up sentries inside the spawn and waited to mow down the other team. There's no real tactical element to the map at all, you either die immediately from sniper fire or jump around a big wide open space trying to pick each other off.

It would have been more interesting if you could get up into the seating by rocket jumping but not even that was allowed so you were restricted to your wide open square and the gameplay value and novelty music died fast. The rounds lasted less than a minute and after one round each side we quickly moved on to the next map.

As to how you can improve this I'm not really sure, I would definitely add some more detail into the area in which you are battling, perhaps some side passages that wrap around the actual arena so you aren't all running straight into the line of fire. More interesting things would be locker rooms to each side of the arena with passages between the spawn and those also, but pretty much ANYTHING other than just being one big box would be an improvement.

EDIT: OH, forgot to mention, the music got annoying super-fast. I know someone here posted that it would be epic to have pokemon music playing in the background but it kind of wasn't very epic at all, just irritating.
Alright so for the sniper problem i halfed the size of the overall map and added fences to the exit of spawns. I also decreased the distance from the fence to cover and i am begining to get some more cover up. As for getting into the stands ill add that and see how it goes out.

Also regarding the music. the real reason (you may have noticed it) is that the music isnt properly stoping at the end of the round so everytime it overlaps until earbleeding.
Again thank you for playing testing through the map.

also, ive begun to set up the different arena types. all i have left to do is figure out how to make them move right