[WIP] Arctic Textures

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by Randdalf, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    I've decided to start work on an arctic textures pack, here are a few of the images I've adapted so far, what do you think?

Snow01:
    [​IMG]

Snow04:
    [​IMG]

Snow07:
    [​IMG]

Ice01:
    [​IMG]

Ice05:
    [​IMG]

So far I've only got Ice and Snow categories, I'm planning to do a Snowwall one, what else do you think I should do?

2. psihomir

psihomir L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Heh, I'm still going to go ahead with it, plus, I think the snow ones do look TF2-ey, the Ice ones less so, I'm still experimenting with making them less realistic, although Snow01 really works in-game, it's the only one I've tried out. I've made normal maps for them as well...

I've also found some tyre tracks I'm trying to modify to fit, but that's not going so well.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  4. toutfou

toutfou L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like them and would love to see more, potentially in game shots so we can see how they're working there?

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Indeed, ingame screenshots would be nice.

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    If you made the bottom ice one a more uniform colour keeping the lines key and you give it a highish specularity it will look quite good as an iced over lake. The top ice one looks very poor, I can't picture anywhere where that would work :(
    You need to do an iceberg side texture with sweeping horizontal lines -
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/borealnz/312566684/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbaravalerie/2715837633/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/55288051@N00/311435439/

Also you need a frosted window/base-of-wall overlay and an icicle overlay

7. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm liking what I see so far. I would love to have some good arctic assets to work with.

Looks like a great start, very excited to see what else you come up with.

8. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Yay, thanks for the feedback guys, I'll have a look at the pictures Youme. I also didn't really like that Ice one, but I guess it could have some uses somewhere. I'll keep it for now.

My in-game screenshots at the moment consist of a skybox and a displacement, which isn't very well lighted, so I'll hold back for a while.

So, my list, todo at the moment is:
    - SnowWall: Essentially clumped up compress snow
    - IceWall: As Youme suggested, Icerberg-ish type ice
    - Overlays: Icicles etc.
    - Signs: I'll look to do some sort of "Polar Industries" style things, although not necessarily of that name EDIT: Polar Beer? xD

9. laghlagh

laghlagh L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Not bad, but it's a little too obvious you just put painted brush filter or something on photos.

10. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    A blend texture from ice to snow would seem appropriate.

11. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like em, I think they look TF2'ey

Iceburg ice would be great for inside caves and walls.

Would be cool have a few blends included. No more tex needed just the vmf's.

12. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    I've been working on making some blend textures, with some new SnowGround textures I made (essentially frozen grass/ground) it didn't go so well, so I'm changing them a bit, a tad too realistic.

2 pages already? *plays Under Pressure*

A tad more than that, but that's the general jist of it yes. If it makes the textures, royalty free, why not?

13. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    I worked on the ice texture a bit, and despite a weird glitch with me getting a white line appearing on the texture, here's the ice lake, with reflectivity

EDIT Fixed it, here's the fixed version:

[​IMG]

14. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    I can see that being used for some pretty awesome looking stalegtites (sp?). Just maybe give it a few faint brush strokes (that don't neccaserily have to be reflected or represented in the bump maping) and it'll be perfect.

15. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    So... you mean do some brushing over the existing texture?

16. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    i like that in-game shot.

17. toutfou

toutfou L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nice work Randdolf! Looking forward to seeing it with proper hit decals.

Close! Stalagmites

18. Shadow Scythe

Shadow Scythe L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well see there's stalagmites and stalactites. The one with an M in it is the kind that is ground-based while the other is ceiling-bound.

On the subject of the textures, I think they look pretty neat from what I can tell from the game screenshot. Are you planning to do a map with it?

19. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Before I say anything, one thing that really annoys me is people always spell my username wrong, it's spelt Randdalf not Randdolf or Randalf. I'm not angry, just frustrated that people never spell it right...

I don't know about making a map, but I'll certainly include an example map with the pack to showcase all the textures.

I'm unsure at the moment about how to change the shot decal, any help? I'll look on Valve's wiki in the meanwhile...

20. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so, here's all of the textures I've done so far (minus 10 SnowGround textures which I just completed), the icy ones are shiny. Some are blend textures:

[​IMG]

They look a tad grey at the moment (the snow) so I'm going to change the detail texture.

These textures are all normal mapped and the ice ones also have specular maps.

I've decided I'm going to release an arena map with the textures, and I'm also going to try and make some stuff for a skybox as well.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008