WIP!!!! alpenfestung

theydidntnameme

L1: Registered
Jan 2, 2009
hello everyone. Ive been working on this map for a little while and before I go further I need some initial feedback to the basics of my map. alpenfestung is a temporary name. and i also have no idea what to prefix my map with yet either

i started making this map because i loved all the different custom maps i used to play in tfc. each one i played had something new and fun in it that really made it exciting to try new maps. i played on a server where the head guy made several custom maps of his own, and included many of the best custom maps, and i used to play there all the time. it was Axl's TFC if anyone here by any chance heard of it. anyways, there was one map in particular i remember faintly that i havent come across in tf2, so im trying to recreate a similar experience with my map.

the map is set in an old abandoned underground base in the mountains. the base contains a space rocket that is capable of landing on the moon. and both red and blue teams want to capture the moon! so its a fight for whoever can get their team's flag onto the rocket to capture the moon. in that sense its like reverse ctf.

ive already blocked out the base. i havent even started on the moon yet, but when a team captures the moon there will be a round of attack/defend to see who wins. i need feedback on the base first.

my layout is symmetrical and theres 3 main pathways. one that goes high, one that goes low, and one that goes in the middle (the direct route). they all converge on the rocket room in the center which im assuming is where all the chaos will be.

im constantly trying to keep in mind all the classes and their playstyles. the high path is buitl for snipers mostly, for example. in the rocket room, there are ramps that can take you to the two lower routes, but to get to the top route you have to run all the way around. this would make it hard to reach snipers, soldiers, and whoever else went along the top route. i dont know if this is a good decision, i thought it sounded like a good idea, so thats one thing i really want to hear your thoughts on.

i have some screenshots. of course i have to texture everything, and im assuming ill have to put more cover in. i want to get this on a map test gameday here sometime, once ive finished building the moon.

please tell me what you think of my layout plan, what needs to be added in terms of layout and what needs to go, and also what needs to change. originally the spawn points were above ground and you have to jump down the tunnel that was dug (which brings you to the current spawn room) but i thought that players would see that as a hassle so i moved the spawns to the first rooms. since this part is reverse ctf i made it perfectly symmetrical (after finishing a path i copied and flipped it). ;)

thanks for reading this in advance :wow:

early1.jpg

early2.jpg

early3.jpg

theydidntnameme

Jan 2, 2009
thanks for the feedback so far!!! i have an update to share! new ingame screenshots!! :eek:hmy::)

ive just started to work on the lighting. the spawnrooms will have team colored lighting but the rest of the map will be uniform. the central rocket room, upper and lower pathways havent been lit yet so my screens all show shots from the spawnrooms and the central path.

red spawnroom:
alpenfestung_3_70000.jpg

blue spawnroom: you can see the upper level entrance up the stairs and the hole in the wall on the right (you cant go into that hole but thats how the team invaded the base)
alpenfestung_3_70009.jpg

a shot of the first hallway down the middle. this leads to a room that connects to the center rocket room:
alpenfestung_3_70005.jpg

another shot of blue spawnroom: this is the door to the lower path. keep in mind i didnt do the lighting of the upper and lower paths yet
alpenfestung_3_70008.jpg

and finally heres the room that connects the hallway to the center rocket room. you can see that the rocket room isnt lit yet:
alpenfestung_3_70006.jpg

aside from beginning on the lighting, ive also redone the red side of the map. originally i copied pasted and mirrored it from the blue side. but as i run thru the map to check things out its strange, because the stairways are mirrored. so what ive done is ive recopied the blue side and rotated it 180, so instead of my map having y axis symmetry it now has origin symmetry!!!!:)

right now i need to finish the basic lighting, and start building the moon phase of the map (which right now im planning on it being attack/defend) then i can start play testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wow:

any and all feedback appreciated!:)

theydidntnameme

Jan 2, 2009
thanks for the input!!!!:thumbup::thumbup1:

its hard to see but the doors on the left and right (the unlit parts) are small rollup doors. do you think i should replace those two with similar doors? also keep in mind that the left and right rollup doors currently open when the round starts and stay open the entire round (as opposed to the middle doors that always open and close when you get by them)

theydidntnameme

Jan 2, 2009
can't wait to see what you do with the rocket launch :)

I CANT WAIT EITHER!!!:woot:

my rocket works but it doesnt have the visual effects yet. still trying to figure out how to get a fire and smoke trail working properly.

in the meantime i have another update! i have finished basic lighting in my tunnels so now you can see what they look like! however i know the tunnels look pretty bad right now... :D once i overcome my fear of vertical displacements i will begin molding the tunnels! although i fear it may take some time before i get any acceptable results... and even then i may never reach acceptable results!! :blushing:

but for now here are the screenshots!!

in the tunnel, looking into blue spawn:
alpenfestung_4_10000.jpg

same position but turned to the right
alpenfestung_4_10001.jpg

moving farther into the tunnel and looking back where i was standing:
alpenfestung_4_10003.jpg

looking back again where i was standing in the last pic lol:
alpenfestung_4_10010.jpg

ahead of me is the end of the tunnel which leads into a room connected to the rocket room. this is the highest level where the snipers and soldiers will be i predict:
alpenfestung_4_10008.jpg

closer view. as you can see i havent lit that room yet or the rocket room on the other side. that will come soon!! also the wall on the right is nodraw but i will replace it with a dead end.;)
alpenfestung_4_10012.jpg

hope you enjoyed the update!!! as far as lighting goes i still have to light the lower pathway and the rocket room. i am also still drawing up concepts for the moon which i believe will be attack/defend like avanti was, using a flag to instantly cap the points! thanks for all the input so far!:lol: