WinDirStat

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
So there's this neat thing called WinDirStat, only mentioned in one thread EVER on these forums. http://windirstat.info/ You should download it and get a screeny of your results with some interesting facts. It's actually really neat to find out what is using the most space on your harddrive and stuff. [WinDirStat shows you a pretty coloured boxes-galore display of the different filetypes that make up your computer's files]

WinDirStat20110531.JPG

I have a larger total of .bsps than I do .gcfs.
.vmfs account for 0.2% of my total harddrive
My largest map is still Ironworks from October of 2009
My third-most found file is something for WoW
Fourth-most found is stuff from Rift in .pak archives
I have 2.8 Gigs of PDFs, the majority of which are for DnD

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Just downloaded this and i did find it rather interesting and it's currently helping me to do some tidying on the hard drive (Becuse i think if i have 86GB/255GB left i should probably make more room for more performance and game updates).

I'll edit with interesting things i found out about my harddrive in a minute, (several minutes later) almost there.

Interesting..

25% of my files are GCF's.
The Common Folder now takes up more space than my Username folder.
And the largest game is Sims 2 which i never play and have alot of addons and expansions.

Last edited:
May 2, 2009
I shall download and wonder where all my space has gone with this.

Downloaded, installed and the program supports finnish language, that's a huge + from me. Haven't seen many programs lately to support finnish. Started the scan and those little pacmans start to run across my screen scanning my hardrive. At this point I got sceared what have I done. Was it really scanning program and not a ultimateharddriveEater?

It's easy to use and has very familiar interface. I love this colorful presentation of my files. Seems like most of my space goes to movies, photoshop files and photos. Interface itself has a remove button for files, open etc. so you can easily remove files with this program and don't have to search the folder manually and then remove wanted files.

Recommended

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I am obligated to also link to Overdisk. I always recommend the two as a pair. While WDS's focus is more on visual display of files themselves, Overdisk helps you locate bloated folders, regardless of the kind of files within them.

Karnage

L3: Member
Mar 19, 2010

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
I am obligated to also link to Overdisk. I always recommend the two as a pair. While WDS's focus is more on visual display of files themselves, Overdisk helps you locate bloated folders, regardless of the kind of files within them.

Yeah I took a glance at Overdisk but didn't need to use it back when I first learned of WinDirStat from you. Looked less pretty, so I was all "Naw" But secretly, this was to make sure that you're alive cuz I haven't seen you in a long time.
Looks like it could be useful to others though.