Wimbledon

KotH Wimbledon A1

Mattie

L2: Junior Member
Jul 28, 2018
Wimbledon - King of the Hill comes to South London. 15 love!

You'd think a trip to Wimbledon would offer opportunities for strawberries, cream, and various racket-based summer sports, right? Not for the TF mercs! For them, the only sports they'll be playing are BLOOD SPORTS, the only points they'll be winning are CONTROL POINTS (well, one control point) and the only ball boys they'll be encountering are SANDMAN SCOUTS. (THERE IS NO TEAM FORTRESS METAPHOR FOR STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM.)

This is a small King of the Hill map originally created four years ago under a different name and using a Mannhattan/Central Park theme. I've elected to roll this eternal WIP back to an A1 and unleash it 'pon the world again, starting to detail it in a London theme assembled with a combination of my own custom assets and community asset packs. Imagine Frankenstein but with a prim Edwardian suburb instead of a hideous man monster and you've got the idea.

Let me know what you think. Feedback from all areas is appreciated but I'd be interested to hear thoughts on:
  • Sniper sightlines (and how to rectify them)
  • Heights - should I cut down on those high places that Soldiers and Demos can reach (either by new geometry or by clipping?)
  • The theme - will I need more/better custom assets to fully realise my intended aesthetic? (and will anyone model 'em for me, since I can't model for shit?)
    koth_wimbledon_a10013.jpg
    koth_wimbledon_a10012.jpg
    koth_wimbledon_a10011.jpg
    koth_wimbledon_a10017.jpg

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Looks a lot like Badlands. I love it!

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
The lighting seems a bit bright, did you use a tonemap controller to handle the bloom?

Also yes it looks a bit like badlands mid, but only really cause the point's on a long bridge. I do kinda fear that mid won't have enough cover though and could also have sightline issues.

Mattie

L2: Junior Member
Jul 28, 2018
The lighting seems a bit bright, did you use a tonemap controller to handle the bloom?
I did indeed, but it's possible the tonemap controller is set too high; I'll turn it down for A2, and see if I get feedback on that issue that the map's on the server rotation (same with sightlines and stuff)

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
After having tested the map, I'd suggest making spaces larger as well as giving teams some kind of buffer zone between the point and their spawn. Also some kind of height to attack point from would be good. Think about how Lakeside has the point high up but also those upper areas players can attack from.