Will someone please explain how the particle editor works

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by tyler, Jun 17, 2011.

1. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Or point me to some kind of useful tutorial? Everything I can find is like "this is how you make a fireball" and I'm like "Great, now how do I use this to make something I care about"

What I'm trying to do is make a black hole, if that helps at all

2. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I think the best thing you can do is just open up an existing .pcf file and just fiddle around with all the settings to see what's happened. I've done it that way, and right now i have a basic knowledge of the particle editor! Yays! There is an article on the vdc too i think which might help you out.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particle_Editor

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    The learning curve for the particle editor is rediculous. I wanted to create some steam to come out some nuclear cooling towers, but no matter what modifications i made to a sprite it didn't look right. Although it didn't help that i was working at 1/16th for the skybox which kinda limits your options a bit.

4. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    This. I learned Hammer and Java with the same method, and using a couple tutorials here and there.

5. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    This is basically the other problem I have so I'm not entirely sure that just screwing around will help me out very much. ugh

6. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    I tried this: I opened the swamp bugzapper particle, unchecked some box, checked it again, the whole thing shit itself and looked like a rainbow threw up. I'm never touching the particle editor again.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    You have some of the most quotable one-liners out of all the members here Seba and I applaud you for it.