Wikipedia is always unnecessarily complex

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Numerous, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Let me explain. Whenever I look up pretty much anything to do with mathematics, it goes straight to the details, skipping over the general overview which anyone skimming would almost always prefer.
    Here's an example, Euclidean space:
    Now I'm generally a high-flier and at home with this stuff, but if I want to understand it without spending 5 minutes of my life finding the simple definition, I sure as hell can't be on wikipedia.

Has anyone else noticed that around here?

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Mathematics isn't simple, why should wikipedia pretend that it is?

3. pitto

pitto L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    yeah I agree with YM, also it follows the format of all Wikipedia that have a short description to start, then further details below.

If you are looking at maths on Wikipedia, the best thing to look at are the diagrams and pictures to gain a quick understanding especially if you are just refreshing material you have learnt in the past, but if you have never learnt the maths before I'd expect you need to reed a bit more into it.

4. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wikipedia is supposed to be an encyclopedia of pretty much everything. It isn't your school's bibliography.

What you're asking is like asking for the dictionary to only come with words you personally might look for.

5. Washipato

Washipato L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I never found wikipedia useful for understanding mathematics, lots of times it give a complete, but over-complicated definition. The best you can do is find another site with google, one that explains the subject in a didactical way, easier to understand and learn.

6. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
  7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    TMP says he taught himself calculus with wikipedia. So I think he'd be the one to ask if it really is overly complex... or maybe not :p

8. Okrag

aa Okrag Wall Staples

Positive Ratings:
    If you want simple...[ame="http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics"]If you want simple...[/ame]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    [ame]http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_geometry[/ame]

well would you look at that

10. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Click the 'Simple English' language from the article language selection, if it's available.

It works almost 70% of the time.