Why?

Ginger

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 29, 2010
Okay, hi, Im kiwi, im new ^^ :O

Umm, i have experience mapping and atm i'm helping a friend with a full scale Insurgency mod map, i was just wandering, why do people make their maps in nodraw, then texture? is this easier or does it make a difference? Hope i can contribute to this forum soon XD

Thanks
Kiwi :O

Ginger

Jun 29, 2010
Pwoooar XD fast replies here ^^, okay but surely its hard to see things if they all the same texture, ^^

Drexer

L2: Junior Member
Jun 23, 2009
Basically you want to make sure that you only assign textures to faces that are visible. Even though hammer automatically changes textures to nodraw if the faces are facing emptyness, or if they are fully in direct contact with other brushes, it's better to play it on the safe side and just nodraw it by default and change it to textures afterwards.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
does it always rain on me?

The thread title is misleading.

Smashman

L3: Member
Mar 14, 2009
Does it always rain on me?

To answer, basically, it's just easier. You don't have to faff around choosing good textures til you detail.

Sep 12, 2008
Basically - I guess you're quite new to TF2 Mapping - we use Dev(eloper) textures first for maps in Alpha stages - those nice Blue and Red ones that became official with hoodoo. And then when the layout is done and gameplay is "perfect" most people start texturing their maps properly and detail it. It's just a matter of taste ofcourse, but this is how most people do it. And then nodrawing everything and giving every visible face a dev texture is a handy solution.

Ginger

Jun 29, 2010
So its just a way of almost highlighting areas that textures and needed and those that arent?

Bad Vlad

L2: Junior Member
May 23, 2010
Another thing: There's a button that switches off displaying nodraw faces, so if you have all the faces outside the map nodrawed, you can see into your map from the outside like when you noclip in the game.

Feb 18, 2009
nodrawi-ng everything is a good habit to get into. While it is true that the compiler automatically removes faces that cannot be seen (even in brush entities consisting of multiple touching brushes), this does not go for when an brush entity (or maybe just func_detail) touches a world brush, afaik. It is also useful for the afore mentioned reasons (hiding it to see inside etc). Personally, it also gives more control, because you don't need to consider faces that mat be "visible" but actually seen py the player at any time (for example, the backs of things that are in areas out of bounds).

Nov 14, 2009
I do it all in dev textures, then do a find and replace to replace all the dev with nodraws, then texture it.

Ginger

Jun 29, 2010
if you click camera, and then '3D flat', you can see the different faces quite easily while you block out in nodraw.
Alternatively, try this:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=12409&highlight=nodraw

Also, isn't insurgency dead by now? I guess not...

Suprisingly no XD, its still quite large in playing terms, but dev terms the team hasn't released anything since april and we are losing faith in them but the clan im in usually gets #1 in server ratings

Geal

Aug 16, 2009
Personally, I block everything out in dev textures for the alpha versions and initial testing, or even just for the initial build. Then when you're ready to texture the map, go retexture the visible faces. When done, go replace all dev textures with nodraw. I think the replace texture menu option is under either view or tools. Maybe map. This makes it a bit easier on your eyes while blocking out, and then when you have visible walls textured you can easily see what is not visible go players.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Noraw doesn't get visually rendered during compile. Less textured faces means smaller file sizes and better optimisation. Most people just work in dev textures to start with as it's easiest. If you do this it's best to go around your map in hammer and texture all of the visible faces individually. Once that's done you can simply use the texture replace function in the Hammer Face Edit Dialog to swap all of the remaining dev textures for nodraw. If you've completed this process properly then all of your visible faces will be textured and all of your idden faces will be nodraw.

EDIT: dammit somehow missed a whole page of posts. Oh well at least I has links. ;)

Last edited:

Ginger

Jun 29, 2010
Great!, thanks guys this forum is the best ^^ No joke there, i really am thankfull for all the responses, not being rude but I think i understand it now so im probably not going to use this thread any more, but if you anything else to add feel free, but don't think i still don't understand

Much thanks,

Cba to spam the thanks button atm

Kiwi ;)