Why vbsp produces these completely useless visleafs?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Wow I just found this. On the inside where I didn't hint?

9ABGMbN.jpg

Exactly what you have, grazr. Notice the horizontal cut.

Y7VOKil4mh9F8Z9-cPxe6q4-0GP2B34Jbi3O_GI81OI

No dice.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013

You should learn to link your images right. Anyway I'd have to look at what you have in Hammer to figure it out, but I'm confident correctly done hinting would clean it up. Or else something else is causing that somehow.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's the big purple wall that cuts right through the building, but allows the second floor's floor brush to eat into the adjacent leaf, in exactly the same direction as the other leafs did.

Anyway, i'm gonna hold off on trying to push this point, i think there's a more fundamental problem at work, i've noticed some strange visleafs from a whole other iteration ago in another part of the map for geometry that isn't there anymore. It's like the map is compiling and adding leafs according to the new geometry i'm adding, but keeping old visleafs from geometry i've deleted several iterations ago. Something weird is definitely happening.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
VVIS will do weird stuff from time to time, usually as a result of other nearby visleafs. It can be hard to figure out. It's not like your situation there is super crazy anyway, it's harmless to leave it. It is weird though. I can't always clean everything up myself, but I assume it's because I don't know how.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Figured it out.

Each place where these cuts into adjacent leaves are occurring are where the engine has failed to merge brush faces because they have different textures. Each case where the simplification of leaves works, the textures have been merged along that plane. All the cases where cuts have been made into adjacent leaves are where unique textures have been applied along the same plane. Where these cuts were happening and giving the appearance of ghost geometry there were unique textures hidden behind detail geometry.

This would also explain your picture where the simplification works because the DEV textures merge causing the engine to handle it in a certain way.

I have since addressed the hidden faces and the cuts are now not cutting into adjacent leaves. Annoyingly, this has meant I have had to texture some hidden faces previously nodrawn.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Here's one of the weirder scenario's I had in the map elsewhere, which i thought there was ghost geometry (a wooden porch sat here in a previous iteration). Hopefully the image quality hasn't been nuked too bad and you can still see it.

The face here under the doorway was textured a blue wall presumably from a copy-paste job from the opposite base and was hidden behind some steps so i didn't notice until following up on this just now, re-texturing it to the surrounding wooden wall texture actually resolved a visleaf cut causing an additional portal further along, at the other black arrow.

UMrHidTcrkvn-Qwupx_nL43DQEW3EAKttfvmkhRA-9s

But there is another superfluous leaf cut behind that cut too, where the red arrow is. That was being caused by a nodraw face from the other side of the brush under that doorway. Which wasn't removed in this compile because i hadn't changed that second face yet. But it's weird because that nodraw face is not only inside a structure but actually facing more solid geometry and shouldn't even register because it gets culled as void during the compilation process. But it still affects the leaf all the way over here on the outside.

Luckily, these only seem to extend as far as the 1024 box limit, so they must just be occurring within these spaces and probably not noticed half the time.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I have a simple idea in my head: the hints are applied before the automatic cutting.

3Dnj

Ducks
aa
Dec 21, 2008
You can use hint to try to clean the mess created by random vbsp leaf creation. It's a bit tricky and boring but this can really help to improve your compilation time.

It's only working 95% of the time but still usefull.

I'm sometimes covering a whole building with different hint face just to reduce useless cut, then just compil quickly vbsp, looking for the changes, triyng agian, etc...