Why is it that so many playload maps never make it out of alpha stage?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Oct 6, 2008
There are times that I get really excited about seeing some of the payload maps when they are first released as alphas and then there may or may not be more work done on them adn they seem to just die.

Is it because the maker gets bored of them or is it that payload is one of the hardest types of maps to get the game play balanced or that there's a huge amount of coding (i.e. path_track logic) that has to be done on them?

Why do you guys stop making them or why do you think so many of them just seem to die and are never worked on again?

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Payload is a difficult game mode to map for since just about everywhere on the carts path can be an important playable space. Payload maps are also rather long, meaning there's more map to work with and more stuff to try and balance. I think a lot of it has to do with people not really knowing where to take their projects more than anything else.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Lots of maps doesn't make it out of alpha in general. We just had a payload map contest, so there are an abundance of payload alphas at the moment.