Why doesn't func_regenerate have an origin?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Balls, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Balls

Balls L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Just a quick question that came up on the jump forums, func_regenerate and func_nogrenades (and possibly other) brush entities do not have an origin, while others do.

Does anyone know why this is? This isn't important for completing a map, but I'd just like to understand!

2. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:

I'm not sure I get what you're asking but it's an entity and the reason there's no origin is because it's a brush type of trigger - you can make the brush whatever size you what so no need for an origin.

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Origins are only on brush entities that need a specific point of reference (that isn't their centerpoint) in addition to their volume. Any rotating entities use it for the location of the rotation axis. Trains use it as the point that "rides" along the paths. Trigger_proximity uses it as the point to measure distance from once inside the volume.

The two you mentioned do things inside their volume that don't require a reference location. Just as a func_door moves linearly a specified amount so it doesn't matter what "point" the engine does the translation math on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Balls

Balls L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the replies, this makes sense! :D