Why doesn't func_regenerate have an origin?

Balls

L1: Registered
Feb 15, 2015
Just a quick question that came up on the jump forums, func_regenerate and func_nogrenades (and possibly other) brush entities do not have an origin, while others do.

Does anyone know why this is? This isn't important for completing a map, but I'd just like to understand!

Oct 6, 2008
Just a quick question that came up on the jump forums, func_regenerate and func_nogrenades (and possibly other) brush entities do not have an origin, while others do.

Does anyone know why this is? This isn't important for completing a map, but I'd just like to understand!

I'm not sure I get what you're asking but it's an entity and the reason there's no origin is because it's a brush type of trigger - you can make the brush whatever size you what so no need for an origin.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Origins are only on brush entities that need a specific point of reference (that isn't their centerpoint) in addition to their volume. Any rotating entities use it for the location of the rotation axis. Trains use it as the point that "rides" along the paths. Trigger_proximity uses it as the point to measure distance from once inside the volume.

The two you mentioned do things inside their volume that don't require a reference location. Just as a func_door moves linearly a specified amount so it doesn't matter what "point" the engine does the translation math on.