Why do people use the red/blue dev textures?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Monster Killer, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Monster Killer

Monster Killer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I notice that in a lot of maps made people use the red and blue dev texures mainly in alpha and beta versions.
    Is there a reason why this is done or is it just becuase thats how they want it to look?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Generally dev textures are used to roughly block out a map so it can be tested quickly, using the dev textures also lets testers know they're giving feedback on gameplay, not aesthetics. The dev textured blocks can also be swapped out easily if they don't give good gameplay, instead of spending hours detailing something and finding it doesn't work and having to delete it all, by using dev textures and blocky shapes you're only loosing minutes instead of hours or days work.

The default dev textures of pure grey/orange can be quite confusing in team bases, especially symmetrical maps, so I whipped up some red/blue variants so that testers can quickly tell what side of the map they're on. Their popularity rose and eventually when hoodoo went official I asked valve to include the dev textures too, which they did. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Monster Killer

Positive Ratings:
    oh ok. I usually just find the most suiting textures when i do what ever part it is. Gives me a better idea of how good/bad it will looks and also helps me determing what would be suiting do be inside or outside what ever it is.
    Thank's :)

4. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    What Youme said. If you've got a symmetrical map, and 2 sides are identical it's impossible to know what side you're on (ignoring subtle indicators), so the coloured dev textures simply help people to tell whose territory they're in.

5. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    We had a thread whether people like dev textures more, or start directly with tf2-textures. But in the end , its up to your preferences.

btw, you stole my sig :O

€: No problem, just wanted to point that out :p

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  6. Monster Killer

Positive Ratings:
    Ok thank's :)

I did not steal your sig i simply choose the same short of colours since they are suitable colours :p
    Though if you will i wish change the colours just for you...

7. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    So, nobody uses it for aligning textures like I do?

8. Monster Killer

Positive Ratings:
    That sounds like a good use for it to be honest.

9. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    It cues players to complain about the right kind of things :p

10. Monster Killer

Positive Ratings:
    True :p