why are my entities leaked?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by quekki, Jul 24, 2017.

1. quekki

quekki L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i just checked my compile log on interlopers and it says that an entity is leaked. if i remove that entity and compile + check the compile log again, there is another error which says that a certain entity is leaked. it seems like they are all leaked. what did i do wrong? they are completely sealed off. (im new to hammer so i may have done something wrong)

2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Leak

Leaks happen when there is a hole in your map leading to the void. The first entity to detect the leak (typically the closest one) reports it in the compile log. You'll have to patch the hole in order to fix it; simply removing the entity will cause the next nearest one to report the leak instead.

Edit: The exception to this is if the entity was outside an otherwise sealed map. In that case, removing (or moving) the entity will fix it, but that doesn't sound like the problem you have based on your description.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. quekki

quekki L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    alright thx, i didnt know about finding leaks by loading a pointfile. there was a small part in a room that i forgot to seal off but i fixed it now

4. pi-ka

pi-ka L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I also have a tip for entities not-leakage (is that even a word?)

I usually create a SKY-BOX, just a GIANT box made out of skyblock material, making any leaks impossible!

I hope this helps not making leaks further on for you!

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    While you're not wrong, this isn't the ideal way to seal a map. A giant hollow box will only create extra space around the map that the compiler still has to account for when doing visibility calculations, and may lead to decreased framerate. Instead, you want to make your skybox walls conform to the edges of your map, and eliminate empty space underneath by using the floor to seal.

This page goes into more detail, but the whole guide is worth a read.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. pi-ka

pi-ka L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    okay, but you can use that to start out right? like, just make the box smaller once you finish the map? is that possible?

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  7. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, it won't be a big deal if the map is simple, but once you start adding more detail you'll want to do a proper skybox.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Don't start out like that. Just don't. Start the way killo said. Design your map around fun gameplay and optimisations (no long sightlines, plenty of corners that visibly seal a room from another, etc). Don't design your level and then seal it up in a big box.

9. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    When starting out it is easier to just the cordon tool instead and you dont even get used to the idea of boxing your map in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty sure you are the same person who posted this same thing twice on separate videos on my Youtube channel (I replied to both). But again, this is a baaad idea and just leads to bad habits down the road. Learn how to do it right from the start, it's not as much of a pain as it seems once you get used to it. Killo's link above has a great description of the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Viperi

aa Viperi not actually a snek

Positive Ratings:
    Agreed. Though me myself have grown in a habit of surrounding the map with skybox brushes in order to compile, however I've started using the lovely ol' cordon tool nowadays.