PL WhiteJack [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I'll download it and give some feedback. I downloaded a previous version and thought of some things to say, but I never got around to writing the post. As per getting it played on, I highly recommend you submit it for a gameday. I feel like watching players play on your map will help you a lot in improving the gameplay of your map- something you could use. Just wait for the next gameday to be announced, or ask in the steam chat when the next gameday is scheduled. Don't worry about being a spectator to watch your map be played during the gameday, if that's what you wanna do then go ahead. Others will also go spectator during gamedays so they can fly around and leave feedback without being shot at, so you don't have to feel alone. In fact, using spectator to give/receive feedback on your map is highly encouraged on the TF2Maps servers. If you're low on skill but still want to get a good feel of how your map plays firsthand (which is something I recommend), then here are a few ideas:
  • Medic doesn't do much fighting, but he still gets close to the action. He's great for watching others play on your map. He allows you to get a good idea of how fights play out as you'll be watching your allies fighting instead of fighting yourself, while still being part of the game yourself, contributing to a team, and being able to get a good idea of the scale of your map. Medic is great because he demands that you pay close attention to your team to keep them healed, so you'll get a good view of the fight. Just don't overextend, or pocket a single player. If you see a lone teammate walking away from the group, stick with the group. And don't just pocket the heavy, heal a variety of teammates. A large group of teammates have a better chance of keeping you alive than a single one. As per your medigun, quick-fix requires the least amount of skill to maximize its potential, and the uber is great for saving your life or your heal target's life in a bad situation.
  • If aiming is the problem, Heavy doesn't need too much aim. Just stick close to your teammates and even closer to your medic, as you'll be absorbing damage like a sponge. Oh, and here's the unspoken rule of all heavy mains: Every time you die, blame it on your team. Your team sucks, and you're perfect at the game, so if you die, it's obviously your team's fault. (Those last 3 sentences were sarcasm, don't actually be that player pls.)
If you're looking to further improve your skills, I recommend looking up guides on Steam. Although the most popular guides are just shitposts, you can find some really good guides by searching for a specific class. There are a lot of mechanics and individual skill required in becoming good at TF2, and although experience is a great teacher, just playing the game isn't enough to actually learn everything. (I should know, my first 750 hours were mostly spent turtling my sentry on an instant respawn 24/7 Dustbowl server. No joke.) Additionally, practice your aim. Aim is very important, and it's something that even I'm bad at. You don't have to be an aimbot (and pls don't install an actual aimbot), but just being able to land your shots semi-consistently can be very helpful.

Anyway, this post is far longer than I intended it to be. Good luck with your map, and I'm going to see if I can get you some feedback.
I due have to warn you, I do like to update my map very often. So hopefully i dont send a update when you are writing your post and then have to change it all up.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I'll download it and give some feedback. I downloaded a previous version and thought of some things to say, but I never got around to writing the post. As per getting it played on, I highly recommend you submit it for a gameday. I feel like watching players play on your map will help you a lot in improving the gameplay of your map- something you could use. Just wait for the next gameday to be announced, or ask in the steam chat when the next gameday is scheduled. Don't worry about being a spectator to watch your map be played during the gameday, if that's what you wanna do then go ahead. Others will also go spectator during gamedays so they can fly around and leave feedback without being shot at, so you don't have to feel alone. In fact, using spectator to give/receive feedback on your map is highly encouraged on the TF2Maps servers. If you're low on skill but still want to get a good feel of how your map plays firsthand (which is something I recommend), then here are a few ideas:
  • Medic doesn't do much fighting, but he still gets close to the action. He's great for watching others play on your map. He allows you to get a good idea of how fights play out as you'll be watching your allies fighting instead of fighting yourself, while still being part of the game yourself, contributing to a team, and being able to get a good idea of the scale of your map. Medic is great because he demands that you pay close attention to your team to keep them healed, so you'll get a good view of the fight. Just don't overextend, or pocket a single player. If you see a lone teammate walking away from the group, stick with the group. And don't just pocket the heavy, heal a variety of teammates. A large group of teammates have a better chance of keeping you alive than a single one. As per your medigun, quick-fix requires the least amount of skill to maximize its potential, and the uber is great for saving your life or your heal target's life in a bad situation.
  • If aiming is the problem, Heavy doesn't need too much aim. Just stick close to your teammates and even closer to your medic, as you'll be absorbing damage like a sponge. Oh, and here's the unspoken rule of all heavy mains: Every time you die, blame it on your team. Your team sucks, and you're perfect at the game, so if you die, it's obviously your team's fault. (Those last 3 sentences were sarcasm, don't actually be that player pls.)
If you're looking to further improve your skills, I recommend looking up guides on Steam. Although the most popular guides are just shitposts, you can find some really good guides by searching for a specific class. There are a lot of mechanics and individual skill required in becoming good at TF2, and although experience is a great teacher, just playing the game isn't enough to actually learn everything. (I should know, my first 750 hours were mostly spent turtling my sentry on an instant respawn 24/7 Dustbowl server. No joke.) Additionally, practice your aim. Aim is very important, and it's something that even I'm bad at. You don't have to be an aimbot (and pls don't install an actual aimbot), but just being able to land your shots semi-consistently can be very helpful.

Anyway, this post is far longer than I intended it to be. Good luck with your map, and I'm going to see if I can get you some feedback.

I am planing on releasing a new update to the map.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
On spectating: it's fine if you want to spectate your own map for a round or hop in briefly to leave some feedback, but I don't encourage staying there. We record demos that allow you to watch a replay of your map afterwards, so please don't take up a player slot to spectate when others could be using it to play.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
On spectating: it's fine if you want to spectate your own map for a round or hop in briefly to leave some feedback, but I don't encourage staying there. We record demos that allow you to watch a replay of your map afterwards, so please don't take up a player slot to spectate when others could be using it to play.
We're do I get the demos?

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
- Added a new way for red team to get out of their spawn on spawn back
- Updated health and ammo packs
- Removed fences and blockers to prevent snipers from camping on top of them and for the bomb not to get stuck on them
- Removed one R.S.C from the red front spawn

Read the rest of this update entry...

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Got some feedback on A6 (I think it's actually supposed to be B6, but it looks like you made a typo in your update post)

20170711172505_1.jpg
Why is the side of the wood brushes in Blu's spawn textured with rock? If you want to have a "wood sitting on top of rock" feeling, put something to indicate a transition between the wood and the rock, so that the player can distinguish between the wood and the rock instead of it feeling like one abrupt transition where the wood is also rock.

20170711172530_1.jpg
White light circles with no light props to indicate there's a light there.

20170711172639_1.jpg
This chokepoint is very small and has no way to flank around it. Nasty and annoying for Blu, awesome and overpowered for Red.

20170711172709_1.jpg
Propspam.

20170711172755_1.jpg
Why are the sides of the WATER textured with ROCK?

In fact, why are the sides of the water visible at all? Why does the water just abruptly end? Shouldn't there be something holding the water in?

And why can I get up here? This should be clipped off.

20170711172853_1.jpg
Am I supposed to be able to get here?

20170711173021_1.jpg
This is the view that you have when you walk right out of red's spawn. Perfect view of the entire area, massive height advantage, and a really nice view of the aforementioned chokepoint. Perfect for snipers as they have an infinite supply of health and ammo nearby, not good for Blu at all.

20170711173054_1.jpg
This door is very tall, Red can stand on it, and the bottom is textured with wood.

20170711173111_1.jpg
The trigger area for this door is too big.

In fact, you seem to have a fondness for doors. Don't do that. Don't place doors everywhere, cuz then players can play peekaboo with other players and demos can easily camp almost anywhere.

20170711173204_1.jpg
This sightline is so long, I'm hitting the max render distance. Be VERY careful with sightlines that are over 3000 HU.

20170711173359_1.jpg
That bridge is incredibly thin for a bridge that's made of rock and meant to support the weight of a payload cart plus any people pushing it.

20170711173713_1.jpg
Your func_respawnroomvisualizer is invisible here.

20170711173740_1.jpg
A lot of this could be nodraw.

20170711173746_1.jpg
Why does this grate in Red's final spawn open to the skybox? Is this map meant to be really high up in the air or something?

20170711174028_1.jpg
As a demoman, I can stickyjump up and shoot stickes into Red's first spawn. That shouldn't be possible. The only way to see or shoot into an enemy team's spawn room should be through the door itself.

20170711174052_1.jpg
Another nasty chokepoint. The saws only make it worse.

20170711174135_1.jpg
That's all I got. You're improving a lot, so don't feel discouraged. Good luck with the map!

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
- Added a blocked by red first spawn to take away the sniper sight line
- Added a bottom and some props to the grate from red second spawn
- Updated many textures around the map
- Updated all the lights to have models and be dimmer
- Updated the pools of water to have the edges be solid
- Updated the front barricades to be crates to decrease the prop spam
- Updated the door by red first spawn to be shorter and move down when opening
- Updated the two doors in front of blue second spawn to open independent from one another
- Updated the bridge to be thicker and wider
- Updated the last point entrance to be wider as well
- Removed the health and ammo front the front
- Removed the front barricades
- Removed the bottom most doors from the mountain
- Removed the saws from the entence to last control point
- Fixed the func_respawnroomvisualizer not working by the upper entrance from red second spawn
- Fixed jumping classes getting on top of red first spawn

Thank you Da Spud Lord ( http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198167280575 ) for this feedback to make this update happen and making this map a better map.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
The God of Potatoes approves of this name.

On a more serious note, I've got some a little bit more feedback, and an exploit.

20170712155907_1.jpg20170712155934_1.jpg20170712160112_1.jpg
Some parts of your map are very dark. This is bad because players need to not only see each other, but also distinguish different teams so they know who's friend and who's foe. Quick tip: Run around your map in third person (enable cheats with "sv_cheats 1", then use the command "thirdperson") and make sure you can easily tell what team color you're wearing at all times. If you can't easily distinguish your team color, then your players probably can't, either. Brighten up those areas so that players can see who they're shooting.
Another tip: Not every light entity has to have a light prop next to it. Ambient lighting is more subtle lighting used to make dark environments brighter. It works best with linear and occasionally constant lighting falloff, as both of these will give the light entity more range. Ambient lighting should complement your other light sources to create realistic lighting that's also not too dark. By that I mean, don't put an ambient light entity in the middle of a hallway that should otherwise be dark and looks like it's lit out of nowhere.

EDIT: You can get out of third person mode and back to first person view with the command "firstperson".

I also found a teleporter exploit that teleports your teammates into the first part of the map after the second point is captured, killing them.
20170712160812_1.jpg
First, before the second point is captured, build a teleporter somewhere in the first section of the map (the part that gets blocked off).

20170712160844_1.jpg20170712161037_1.jpg
Capture the second point and build a teleporter entrance. You can do these in any order as long as the entrance is on the second section of the map and the exit is on the first section.

20170712161047_1.jpg
Then get your teammates to take it.

20170712161200_1.jpg
Anyone who takes the teleporter will be killed.

Personally, I don't think you need to block off the first part of the map after the second point is capped (most Payload maps don't). It's also annoying. If you're on the first section of the map for any reason- whether you happen to be fighting over there, you're on Red behind enemy lines, you're walking from spawn on Blu, or you're at your spawn on Red, when the second point is capped, you're dead. Imposing a massive map-induced genocide on players is annoying as players not only have no indication that this is going to happen, a lot of players are still going to be in this area when that section is blocked off, so a lot of players are going to die and get frustrated because they don't know why they died. Even once the players do realize the cause of their death, many of them still won't be able to avoid it, or will struggle to avoid it.

Now, if you really don't want to change blocking off the entire section of the map after the second point is capped, at least make sure the trigger_kill also destroys buildings so that engies can't screw their teammates.

Last edited:

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
- Added new pathways to get behind the doors
- Added new lights
- Added new way for red to get out into the killing floor
- Added new props right after control point 2
- Updated the lights to be brighter
- Updated the first red spawn to block players from going threw the right door after control point 1 is captured
- Updated the door before control point 2 to be longer
- Removed the drop point right after control point 2
- Removed the fence after control point 2 is captured
- Removed many props
- Removed some geometry to open up the killing floor

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
- Updated many textures
- Added new rousts around the map
- Added walkway that is higher then the track