White screen issue. Probably related to HUD/Custom Configuration.

Ninamori

L1: Registered
May 7, 2015
Hello. I am trying to work on a map, but whenever I compile, and get in-game the screen is ENTIRELY white. I have a feeling that it has to do with either my custom cfg, or my HUD. I have a some FPS optimized CFG, and transparent viewmodels. Here is the full console log, and you can see a ton of errors.

As shown here disabling the HUD does seem to let me see, but that is less than optimal. Any ideas?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
There's occasionally weird bugs with fullbright maps. You might just want to try adding lighting. Otherwise, disable your HUD while you work on maps.

Tombulisu is right though: your console log is usually one of the least useful things for troubleshooting. You'd want to look for errors in Hammer's compile log, or press alt+p and check for errors in your map that way.

From the info I have, I don't know what it is, but I'd blame your custom HUD and stuff.

Last edited:

Ninamori

May 7, 2015
Well I tried to do join a server, and it seems to be only happening when I try to run the map via Hammer. This is weird.

Ninamori

May 7, 2015
Sorry about bumping this, but I've waited three days, and really just want to find some sort of work around (aside from the one in my OP).

Is there any sort of launch command that could disable custom content (ie HUDS, and the like)? I think that would work if it is possible.

Mar 23, 2013
Sorry about bumping this, but I've waited three days, and really just want to find some sort of work around (aside from the one in my OP).

Is there any sort of launch command that could disable custom content (ie HUDS, and the like)? I think that would work if it is possible.

If you want to disable your HUD or other custom content, just remove them from your tf folder. Wasn't that simple?

Ninamori

May 7, 2015
If you want to disable your HUD or other custom content, just remove them from your tf folder. Wasn't that simple?
Sadly not as I want to have my transparent viewmodels which requires a customized HUD, and disabling the HUD doesn't work as it is tied into a CFG modification.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
This sounds like all your fault, not Hammer's. You're going to have to remove your custom configs while compiling. That's really it, I'm afraid.

sv_pure 2 might work, but I doubt it.

Hergan5

May 12, 2013
I think the transparent viewmodels are the problem, they're using a refract material to make itself transparent, that's why the texture is on the whole screen. Are you running on DX8 actually?

Ninamori

May 7, 2015
Well I figured out a workaround that will have to do. I placed my transparent viewmodels file as well as the HUD file into a folder named "DO NOT LOAD" so TF2 won't be able to find them. I opened up Notepad++, and put "**VOID**" next to the commands that make the CFG work with the HUD, and bookmarked them (Notepad++ is awesome btw).

Anyway this is not optimal, but is a side effect of wanting to use fancy-ish viewmodel displays. Cheers.