Which theme is the most overused one?

Which theme is the most overused one?

• Desert style (like egypt)

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Gravel style (like Dustbowl, Gravelpit)

Votes: 36 39.6%
  • Badlands style (like Badlands o.O )

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Factory style (like Granary/Well)

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Swamp stlye

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General Concrete style (like Junction)

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Alpine

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Gorge

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Hydro imho

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I think the "tf2" style is over used.. although yes its meant to fit in I really don't like how some people are afraid of going outside the box..

Not all buildings need to be wood for red.. not all buildings need to be concrete for blu.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Alpine is the most overused. It's not necessarily used more than, say, desert (although it may be for all I know...), but what annoys me the most is that alpine maps don't really look like anything. Most people who make maps in this style just assume alpine means grass and wooden buildings... Rarely do I see an alpine map that dares to go beyond the lumberyard.

Nov 14, 2009
Well, there are really three types of alpine:

Lumberyard (wood buildings)

Gorge (industrial, chemicals, concrete buildings)

Sawmill (rainy)

I think that lumberyard style specifically is overused.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Alpine is the most overused. It's not necessarily used more than, say, desert (although it may be for all I know...), but what annoys me the most is that alpine maps don't really look like anything. Most people who make maps in this style just assume alpine means grass and wooden buildings... Rarely do I see an alpine map that dares to go beyond the lumberyard.

I dont like alpine either, although you cant really call it overused, as hardly any map uses it.

It just doesnt look good imo.

lumberyard alpine btw

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
I would vote Alpine or Dustbowl style. I honestly dont see nearly enough good Hydro styled maps or Industrial maps. Granary will forever be a favorite <3

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Dustbowl isn't Gravel... - Dustbowl is Desert/Mining

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I dont like alpine either, although you cant really call it overused, as hardly any map uses it.

It just doesnt look good imo.

lumberyard alpine btw

Just look around, there are tons of alpine maps! Well, I think the rush is over now, but last year, pretty much all maps were alpine for a period of time.

what would jesus do?

L1: Registered
Mar 24, 2008
I had a feeling that there used to be a lot of Alpine maps in development, especially payload, but i have absolutely zero evidence!
I agree with Muffin Man, Alpine Maps are ugly, and so is lumberyard (well its the best someone could make out of it). The problem is not the theme itself but the color scheme / grass textures.. Saturated green just doesn't fit with the red textured classes and especially not with red buildings. Even Brown (/wood) doesnt seem to fit.

color-wheel-300.gif

complementary colors!

having red blu and green at the same time doesn't fit tf2s idea of impressionistic art direction and simplicity. it may work with brownish-green grass, but that wouldnt fit the alpine theme, maybe a mediterranean or south-american map. idk.