When Releasing a map that isn't completed

Flying Chicken

L69: Deviant Member
Nov 26, 2009
What prefix would it have? Would it be Alpha, Beta, etc.. I'm confused on this whole thing. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be helpful :]:O

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Define "completed."

Is it functional in-game? Do spawns work? Does the gamemode function? Details, please.

Flying Chicken

L69: Deviant Member
Nov 26, 2009
Define "completed."

Is it functional in-game? Do spawns work? Does the gamemode function? Details, please.

Meaning it's still a WIP. I've seen most maps that have a prefix like a1 or b2, or w/e, I mean like if you release it to see how people like it/feedback purposes.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Generally Alpha level means that it has playtesting mostly determining general layout flow, and it needs to be refined. Beta generally is when you are using detailing and study more of the minute flow differences. RC is just before no suffix, where you get the last bits of testing out for anything major, and no suffix is done.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Alpha is generally untextured, where major modifications for gameplay purpoises are made, when your still working out the layout.

Beta usually has no dev textures, everything's textured. Some major changes can be made but generally not, and your're detailing more with every release, sometimes beta's can look like a finished map.

RC is release cantidate. It means that if you find no bugs or changes to be made, then it will become the final release. Usually there are a few RC's before releasing the final.

EDIT: I got Ninja'd. :(

Usually after rc you put the suffix _final on, not no suffix.

A#, b# and RC# are prefix's

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
im more of a

alpha means its hardly textured and its in the process of being laid out to increase playability and balance

beta means oh snap, i put some textures on it but the detailings not perfect and theres still a few small changes i could make that could make it play better

rc is like oh snap i could possibly release this right now but i'm not fully content

test is like I think i'm done but why not test some new stuff out, see what happens.

final is like finally, im done

Daedryon

L3: Member
Dec 5, 2009
I just released mine, and labelled it as Alpha, because it has spawn points, resupply cabinets, etc (basically everything a functional map has), but there's still alot I want to add, and I've used the Advertisements plugin to advertise my email, so people can email me with suggestions, or any bugs they've found in my map.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Usually after rc you put the suffix _final on, not no suffix.

_final was something added by valve to differentiate between the public release by the map author and the version valve released as a community map. For example, junction vs. junction_final.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Never use final for a release. Honestly, you'll never know if you have to go back and fix an error or make a few alterations. I think that using suffixes like '_v2' looks silly and harks back to the days of CSS surf maps.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Never use final for a release. Honestly, you'll never know if you have to go back and fix an error or make a few alterations.

Well I'm of the opinion that something should be in beta/rc (whatever your preference) for long enough that there are no bugs that can be abused to ruin the game for people. That's when you can release a final. Any further unimportant errors or desired alterations found afterwards should be left to themselves because at some point you really need to just say "this is done" and move on.