When is a Good Time to Start Getting Feedback for Maps?

Illius

L2: Junior Member
Mar 27, 2016
So I have been working on my first map, and I'm about halfway done the physical portion (not much detailing yet, mostly just layouts, with reserved areas for pickups and such) of it, and it's a Payload Map (Plan is 4 point single stage map), and I was wondering... when should I look to start getting feedback on if it's heading in the right direction? Should I go and get it setup for a game day in it's half finished state (Obviously with gameplay altering things in place, and the final point being where the mid-point would be) or should I wait until the entirety is done and get feedback then?
I figure when I get better at mapping I will probably wait until a later time guaranteed due to having a better feel for mapmaking, but as it is right now I want to know if I'm doing well in terms of design or need to start thinking how I need to rework it.

On a similar note: Would around this point in the design process be good to set up an actual design thread to keep updated?

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Make the map as bare-bones as possible while still being playable. Make sure to have the 3 "L"s ; Layout, Logic, and Lscale

Take a map I just made a thread for, PD Guise. It's alpha 1, and it's very poor quality as a map. However, it has the 3 "L"s! The layout is how I first envisioned it. Sure, it's tight and not that great in terms of layout, but I'm happy with it. The logic works perfectly, whether it's the gamemode, spawn rooms, or the custom grinder that stops stops working for 5 seconds after you get killed by it. The scale, sure, is a bit small, but I knew it will be improved by testing.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
I'll also add, once you have your first functional version, go to the Downloads tab at the top of the page and click Add Download. Doing this will upload your map to the site and automatically create a thread for you in the Map Factory forum. You can then update the download and it will make new posts for you.

Once you upload your map, get it tested by following the directions here.

Illius

Mar 27, 2016
Ahh... Good to know. Yeah, I was planning on getting it functional (Mostly just rigging up the cart and physical props), but wasn't sure if I should have a functional but only half done, (IE. with only Points A and B, instead of A, B, C and D as I plan to have in the finished product) or if I should hold off until I have all 4 points done (I do have Spawn Rooms working properly, and the payload cart I just gotta rig up but I have the path set up). Scale doesn't seem too bad at a glance, and I've even done some running around as Pyro, Heavy and Scout to see how they all fair and I'd like to say it feels nice (With some jumps from Soldier tested as well), and Layout... I'm actually kinda laughing at that one. Not how I originally envisioned the map, but it took a turn for the better.

Good to know that it auto-makes the thread as well. I wish more sites did this.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
There have been a number of times where multi-stage maps have been released as just the first stage at first, but I don't think I've seen a single-stage being released with only part of it available. Generally speaking, if you haven't figured out the entire layout for one of those, you're not done designing it yet and should probably wait until you are before releasing it.

Illius

Mar 27, 2016
Yeah, well that's probably what will happen then. Good to hear though that multi-stages sometimes get released in phases, something to keep in mind down the line I s'pose.