When creating walls, do you prefer them in or out?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by iiboharz, Apr 9, 2017.

1. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    What I mean by this is, do you prefer to rest them adjacent to the floor, or on top of the floor, and why?

Adjacent:
    [​IMG]

On top:
    [​IMG]

For me personally, it's situational.

2. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    It really depends on the situation but inside the map I almost always do on top because building walls don't hover like that.

Also I have an innie belly button.

3. Nicky

aa Nicky Rotten Tops

Positive Ratings:
    I usually would do on top, as it helps for structures that are on concrete bases like this house:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    I mean obviously for cases like that you would go on top, I should have specified I'm talking specifically about structures that don't have a visible/tangible exterior.

5. Startacker

Startacker L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I usually do on top, sometimes adjacent. But sometimes I do something like this:
    Screenshot_200.png

6. Cole Slaw

Cole Slaw L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Adjacent all the way.

UNLESS two areas share a wall, then on top UNLESS i need two different floor types.

7. [Rx.] Christian Troy

[Rx.] Christian Troy L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    On top usually. I use the old carpenter's methods when it comes to that.

8. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I always build on top of floors. Just personal preference I think but it helps me think things through visually better.

9. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    Usually top, because it's easier to handle the texture by pressing bottom, left, right or top if they are misaligned. If it's exterior wall, i do adjacent because even the slight corner touching seals the map.

10. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    I usually follow adjacent because it make aligning textures easier. Also, feels cleaner somehow.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Viperi

aa Viperi not actually a snek

Positive Ratings:
    Mainly adjacent, might use top in some situations where isn't really much space or taking up interior space doesn't do much.

12. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    In? Out? I just go for whatever feels right at the time which is perhaps best described as "shake it all about".

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    I'm going with adjacent wherever I can. If I have to do it on top I will, but I'd rather not :p

14. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Adjacent here also. I feel like my ODC will kill me if I cover the floor texture.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SmallBiscuit

SmallBiscuit L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I do adjacent in all cases, unless you will SEE the intersection... then I do on top

16. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    my style varies all the way up to this

Attached Files:

17. Another Bad Pun

Server Staff Another Bad Pun bap

Positive Ratings:
    When I map for Portal, I use the adjacent method always.
    When mapping for TF2, it usually just depends on whether the exterior of the building will be visible. Most underground areas then are done in an adjacent style, while exposed structures are done the gross way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    Real Buildings™ generally use the latter method. This is not only because walls need to sit on the foundation rather than outside, but also because it makes exterior wall materials easier to deal with.

When you look at a wall envelope, you're combining multiple materials of bizarre sizes: 4" of brick, 3.5"-5.5" of wall stud, .25" of interior finish (drywall), etc. Interior materials (like drywall) don't need to protect against the weather, so they're weak enough to cut to whatever arbitrary size you need. Exterior materials (like brick) can't be so malleable, so they come in fairly regular sizes. (A building made of brick will probably have exterior dimensions that are divisible by 4".) As a result, you usually end up designing for an exterior wall size rather than an interior, since you can't fudge the numbers on the outside but you can on the inside.

Note that this doesn't apply to all exterior materials. If you look at a building that uses siding, usually the designed dimension is actually the structural wall, and the exterior sheathing sits on the outside. This only works because siding is easy to cut.

If you're excavating, then there is no exterior, so you'd design for interior dimensions.

If you don't do things this way, you're not "wrong" - you're basically just doing the first method but with a slightly larger foundation. If I'm working with a multi-story structure then I'll usually shrink the upper floors in to fit within the walls. The way that Real Buildings™ do this varies per structure, so neither method is really "wrong."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I do both.

Often within the same 128 hu of space.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Hipster_Duck

Hipster_Duck L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is so wierd for me, ever since I started using Hammer I used on top and never even considered placing them adjacent, except when making displacements although that doesn't give much choice.