What's with Making Fire?

ROFLsnakes

L2: Junior Member
Apr 24, 2012
have been trying to get fire to work for the last day or so with no luck.Looked at the dev wiki (even though I know how to make fire) to see if I'm missing something.it says under env_fire

Note:While still available, it does not currently work correctly in Team Fortress 2.

I really need this as my current project is based around fire and lighting. Seeing as I do lighting toward the end this is annoying that I've got this great layout without this effect. I don't know if there IS a step I'm missing

1)turned on the correct flagged
2)though checked "start at beginning" and "never go out" I placed igniter entity.

Also, damage taken from fire is present no the graphic. Tried with cubemaps on,HDR,and normal lighting.Rendering on Normal.

Would like some help or an explanation of how to fix/place fire.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Fire from the environment has never been able to work in TF2. The best you can do is use custom particles/existing particles and a trigger_hurt to simulate fire damage.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
If you need a fire particle system that's bigger than the one in the Swamp Pack, you can always try asking in the request forum. Some of us know how to mess around with particles. Others have a decent idea how to fake it.

ROFLsnakes

L2: Junior Member
Apr 24, 2012
didn't realize swamp came with a fire...

I have the waterfalls for a fact but will have to look through my models. Thanks though!

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
I don't believe the swamp particles made it into the game when it was made official. Same problem with the skybox materials. If you can find them, hooray, but a friend and I found that the hl2 fire particles don't look too out of place in TF2. I used them in my latest map. (shameless advertising: tinyurl.com/torrentsurf)

Just remember though that if you do use any custom particle you'll need a particle manifest file. Just google that, or search with that keyword on the forums and you'll find it.

Vaconcovat

L3: Member
Jan 15, 2012
Also, if you want to actually ignite someone, use a trigger_multiple with the output
On trigger > !activator > !igniteplayer

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Oh yeah, and if what you're looking for is like that only smaller, let me know; I was able to shrink it down to like 100 for a thing I was doing, so I should be able to do it again. It's extremely laggy though, especially compared to the rooms full of fire in Left 4 Dead 2 for example.