What's with Lumberyard?

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
05_lumberyard_2.jpg

^That's what it should look like.

arenalumberyard0000.jpg

^That's what it looks like ingame.

How do I fix it? It's not my computer either - it showed up on my old computer, and my new computer (with all new parts) shows this stuff too. I'm sorta OCD about this stuff, and the fullbright is annoying.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I haven't played lumberyard in ages... and it took me ages to figure out what was different. I take it you mean the rocks and trees. it's probably valve's fault and when they updated the map forgot to compile with -staticproplighting, so they are a uniformly lit from their origin (buried in the ground) and thus darker than the promo shot.

Mar 23, 2010

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
It looks like the boulder that holds up the left end of the log is missing entirely... :O

Or is it just weird lighting, making it the same color as the ground behind from that angle?

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
It looks like the boulder that holds up the left end of the log is missing entirely... :O

Or is it just weird lighting, making it the same color as the ground behind from that angle?

The top pic is almost an illusion, the stump is down the bottom of the cliff but looks like it's in the foreground.

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
Well I'm guessing they wanted the stump there as a landmark but having it in the background was too confusing, perhaps people got distracted/tried to jump for it/for it to be seen the ground had to be raised too much for it to be seen. So they switched it for the left rock.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
it's the trees, i'll take another pic real quick.

arenalumberyard0001.jpg

compare that to the trees in this pic:

05_lumberyard_1.jpg

notice the difference? i can't stand it when trees aren't self-shadowed or something like that. they just look... bad.