what's the deal with the 8 cp limit?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Ezekel, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Ezekel

Ezekel L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    i saw this and was tentatively hopeful. if the game could hold 10 cps, i could make rollout work using true multirounds very easily.
    due to the global index limitation on plr, using 10 becomes necessary, otherwise i could use 6, and share them between rounds.

but i want to know if anyone knows any particular or tangible reasons for this hardcoded limit.
    it's been brought up before i know, but i've never seen an adequate justification forit.

2. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Because any more than 8 and your map would get boring...

3. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    Hud supports any number
    that probably doesn't mean any number of CPs work

4. Ezekel

Positive Ratings:
    i disagree here.

yes, if you used CPs in a conventional manner then that may be true, but in cases like odd_mainframe and plr_rollout, the limit of 8 cps becomes really limiting on my ability to do what i wish with these maps.

beyond that, your response doesn't give any reason why it was hardcoded to 8. what is the technical reason? is it a memory issue? or what?

5. zornor

zornor L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    probably so they could keep the memory size regarding the entities down to a byte or something, which I believe can contain 0 to 7.

I guess it should be expanded to the next power or the one after (16 or 32) so we can have epic matches

6. Ezekel

Positive Ratings:
    would it be unreasonable to have this added to the next list of fan requested changes?

7. Delusibeta

Delusibeta L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Probably, as I'll imagine it would require a major re-work of some boring technical system.

8. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    I think there is some way to make "fake" points. However, I have no clue how to do this.