Whats the best modeling program?

Nov 14, 2009
I have access to:

3ds max
Maya
Softimage (non crippled Valve version)
Blender

Which one of the above three is the best for modeling in Source?

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
I have tried 3ds max and blender, and 3ds max is better if you can afford it. Being poor myself I find that blender is a viable option.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
-I nearly died trying to work out how to export in blender.
-Max does it 100000x easier.
-I died trying to import decompiled models into blender.
-Mac does it 100000x easier.
-I seemed to be the only person alive who prefers blender's UI to Max's (hotkeys >> menus)
-Softimage screwed me over, fuck it.
-Only maya/max will give you 'experience with industry tools'

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I definitely prefer blender's UI to Max's. I can't say I ever had any problems importing or exporting, though that will change soon as I'm trying to learn how to animate.

The other upside to blender is the ethical consideration. It's free, whereas chances are highly unlikely that most individual hobbyists would be using a legal, paid-for version of Max. Thus blender is the better choice if you're making things for public consumption. (You should still find a way to learn Max though, for YM's last point).

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
-Mac does it 100000x easier.

-Only maya/max will give you 'experience with industry tools'

I loled.

Though I 2nd that whole maya/3ds thing. Autodesk has great student programs, so if your a student, your in luck!

Nov 14, 2009
I have an Autodesk Student Community free version, so as long as I am using it to educate my self, then it is legal!

Looks like I will be using Max, then.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I have an Autodesk Student Community free version, so as long as I am using it to educate my self, then it is legal!

Looks like I will be using Max, then.

Check out the license, free to use is different from free to use for commercial purposes.

Thats how XSI screwed me over, it's license says you can't sell stuff made with it, but blender's allows that even though it's free. which is excelent.
Your max license might not allow you to sell anything you've made in it. Which, depending on what you want, may be a bummer.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Once I moved to 3DSMax I never looked back and so I've being using it for 5 odd years now. :p

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
The point is that if you don't want to pay a college fund for 3ds max, blender is a viable option. But if you have a few rocket cars lying around, get 3ds max.

Passerby

L2: Junior Member
Mar 27, 2010
i find i can get the job done just as well with blender for source stuff, but if you want to do more with modeling than just a hobby you really should be working with 3ds and maya.

it's the same with any industry,

if you look at my work, prosumer software like cubase is actually pretty good and it gets the job done but once i started working in audio full time i really needed to invest in a pro tools hd system to keep up with the rest.