What would be good?

tehn

L2: Junior Member
Oct 16, 2009
Hey guys, tehn here.
I would like some input from you guys.

I have made maps before but just to get the hang of mapping, now I'm ready to get a map out there. I do play competitively also so I might try to incorporate some comp play into the map.

I would like some ideas from you guys on a 5 point CP map or a attack/defend CP map.

I want to know whats good for control points and whats not. I will also be asking comp players the same question.

I will ask more questions but for now it's a basic start

thank you
tehn

Aug 10, 2009
I think this should be a question you ask yourself. What do you think makes a good control point, and if you don't know that then try and discover it through what you don't like. If I told you how to make your map then who would be the one making it?

Do you like vertical space? What about sightlines? Will the CP be close quarters? Is movement precision a factor in the CP's?

The list could go on for ever but when it all comes down to it the map is made by you and (hopefully) given to the community, who give input all the way through the process, provided you ask for it.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question, but I don't think that is a question that is meant to be answered :)

tehn

L2: Junior Member
Oct 16, 2009
absurdistof it's a great explanation! In fact I don't want it answered, I want it to be discussed more then anything because I don't want to design a perfect map, inspiration is a very powerful tool when coming to create something maybe not for you but for me when someone just gives a good suggestion I feed off of it. Maybe it is wrong but it's good to get good tips from people that have made a map or two. Also I have writers block so maybe if got out there with some people that can make this typewriter start tapping on paper again.

Yeah martijntje I think I should study a bit harder on some of the map on tf2.

*also I've read a lot of tutorials you guys have here and they also are helping me work this mind.*

NoodleCollie

Stoat fiend
aa
Jul 30, 2009
What I tend to do is get a piece of squared paper and draw a top-down view of the control point. Considering each square is about half a centimetre wide, a control point base should have a radius of almost 1 2/3 squares. From this starting point you begin to get a sense of the scale of things; the next thing I'd recommend would be to choose what direction you want the players to come from to approach the point and begin to work out your pathways to and from. Also, make sure you've got enough space around the control point for a decent fight as maps always look bigger on paper than they actually are in-game. Draw things a bit bigger than you think they need to be: a corridor 3 squares wide, 192 Hammer units, is a medium-small corridor in TF2, for example.

TL;DR: Teaching you to help yourself. ;)