What would be easier to help optimize a Map?

White Russian Bear

L1: Registered
Oct 30, 2016
While I've been working on my map, I've used UEAKCrash's videos, learning about func_details and prop_statics (Don't worry, I didn't go crazy with func_details, I used them only for beams and stuff that wasn't super big to the main map itself). Now, as time went on, the map's frames did drop a tiny bit with the new details I put in, to the point I got the CCRenderlistclass7 thing (Most likely that isn't how it's said, but I hope this can describe what I'm having issues with.) Now, don't get me wrong, it isn't entirely unplayable, but if you're at spawn, it gives the message, but it eases itself out nearing the middle.

NOW HERE IS WHERE I ASK:

Is there a way to better optimize this issue? I've tried Area Portals before, but it failed horribly for me. I was told something about Hint and Toggle?

Whichever, any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

-- Also, any tips on how to make the compile a tiny bit faster? It's not a big issue, I kinda solved this problem with viscluster, takes about 10 minutes. Just any suggestions. --

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
So the first thing you need to realise is that compile time and optimisation are two different things - very much so! Basically everything in the map is done at compile or at runtime, and while you can cut both down in some ways, other methods (such as visclusters) just change where the calculations are done.

This is a great tutorial: http://www.nodraw.net/2009/12/optimization-in-source-a-practical-demonstration/