What makes RD_Asteroid feel like TF2?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Edward_shooter, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:52 AM.

1. Edward_shooter

Edward_shooter L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Retro-futurism, I know.

But "retro-futurism" is a broad space, anywhere from Star Wars (great) to Arpeggio of Blue Steel (poor?) count as retro-futurism. Rather, which aspects of retro-futurism possess the magic of TF2 artstyle? I am currently borrowing ideas from Star Blazers 2 and Galaxy Express 999 (both designed by famous animator Leiji Matsumoto, known for establishing retro-futurism in anime), but playtesters gave mixed opinions...

I am quite at loss, all that I could find are 1 unfinished map, 1 concept art and some community drawings (-_-)

moonbase_big.jpg Rdasteroid.jpg kb-kyungbin-ahn-render7.jpg kb-kyungbin-ahn-19.jpg gal-3372742.jpg IMG_4860.PNG 20211012010205_1.jpg 20211012010330_1.jpg 20211012010237_1.jpg 20211012010302_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. iiboharz

aa iiboharz eternally tired

Positive Ratings:
    I feel that 2001: A Space Odyssey definitely influenced much of the aesthetic of Asteroid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Moonrat

aa Moonrat The end of an era

Positive Ratings:
    I think its because Asteroid is just an extension of the Spytech theme already in TF2, there aren't any hi-tech spaceships in it, just an evolved form of the same computer terminals and panels that are already in most maps.

If you start adding big spaceships and such I think it starts to drift away from TF2's themes. So that might be your issue.

4. Edward_shooter

Edward_shooter L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    There are shuttlecrafts in Asteroid actually. I was thinking about scaling it up into a mini spaceship but I admit I have gone a bit too far... Still, I find this idea worthy of experimentation.

TF2 Asteroid Unfinished Spacecraft.jpg

5. nesman

aa nesman master of fast travel

Positive Ratings:
    Oh those are some cool community drawings. Nice find.

6. Moonrat

aa Moonrat The end of an era

Positive Ratings:
    There are the little ones that appear at the round end, just nothing you'd be able to cruise through space with.