1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

What makes a good Triangle CP map? (And other questions)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kazagin, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Kazagin

Kazagin L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, so I've been working on an Arena map for a while now, and based on the feedback I got from the first release, it was too big.
    After thinking long and hard about it, I realized that my idea would play out as a Triangle CP map (like Gravel Pit).
    It has a giant volcano, so I figured it would be a great location for a climactic final clash for all the marbles.
    Unfortunately, I have no idea on what makes a good Triangle CP map.
    All I can figure out is that it works best when the Defenders have a large area to defend, with the capture point being in a place that can be easily fallen back to. Height also plays a key role, as it would appear.
    So yeah, what is the whole design theory behind Triangle CP?

Also, is it a good idea to put the final point on a platform over an Insta-death area that you can fall into?
    It will, of course, be big enough to support a huge battle, but there will be parts that can be fallen into. (It'll be slightly bigger than the area where the final point on Gravel Pit is.)

2. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    It's not triangle, it's square :)
    Column 1 Column 2
    BLU spawn cp A
    cp B cp C

3. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    Blu's spawn isn't a cp though :p

Basically, a good GPit-style map entails the following: A and B are hard to RED to defend (not just because of the fact that A and B are available to capture at the same time- individually they're difficult to defend), while C is hard for both RED and BLU, but favors RED.

If you want to see a GPit-style map done absolutely horribly wrong, look no further than Junction. How that got accepted into official map status, I'll never know.

4. Kazagin

Positive Ratings:
    So, pretty much all I need to do is make A and B difficult, but possible, to defend, make C tough on both teams, but favor RED, and avoid cramp-quarters and laughably small rooms with capture points that are really hard to attack during a normal match.
    Making the map so that Sentries are helpful, but a whole farm of them doesn't make the map a stalemate for the entire round is good, right?

5. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    A few ways (and interesting ones) of getting between the three caps.
    Also as i find alot that can annoy blu in gravlepit you need some open space and some fairly closed space, and maybe i think a high point for blu to go through (like in hoodoo stage1 by last point balcony bit up top).

6. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    having long respawns for blue (10s waves) at the start of the round allows RED to recover and effectively move from point-to-point

7. Kazagin

Positive Ratings:
    Anything else I need to keep in mine?
    Also, what's a good way to incorporate a giant volcano as the site of the final point?
    I was thinking of having A and B each have a cliff which will have bridges to a series of four buildings that are suspended above a giant jungle and are surrounding the final point, allowing for a three-way rush for the final point.
    (The fourth would, obviously, be the RED team's spawn.)

8. Stormcaller3801

Stormcaller3801 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Depending on how you've set up this giant volcano, I'd say put a platform with point C on it in the center of the volcano, with several walkways and ventilation ducts leading to it. Build up a whole spytech theme for the place, and make sure there's a fast connection between it and RED spawn.

9. megawac

megawac L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    ^ Thats what I was going to say... Make it like steel... Id suggest another floor under the point and after that lava though just to be semi original :)

10. Kazagin

Positive Ratings:
    Last Question (I hope),
    What is a good way to simulate a pool of lava?

I'm playing around in Hammer, and the best I could come up with is placing my lava brush (the texture of which looks nothing like the TF2 Style) over top a water brush (1 pixel higher) and my trigger_hurt (set to do 9001 damage and ignite the player), but it doesn't quite look like lava.
    The lava brush is, obviously, a func_illusionary.
    The player falls in, dies and ignites, floats a foot down, and floats back up.
    Also, water splashes up when it is shot.

11. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    To ignite a player, you need a trigger_multiple (or a trigger_hurt to kill them, I'm 99% sure hurt can do the same things as multi)

name: OnTrigger
    target: !activator
    with: igniteplayer

12. Languid

Languid L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just use a trigger_hurt with the damage set to ignite/burn/whatever it's called.

13. Kazagin

Positive Ratings:
    I have it set so that they ignite.
    I want the players to float in it like it's thicker than the standard water.
    (Also, if it is possible, make it look like lava.)