What Is This Place And What Am I Doing Here

CHINESE TIGER

L1: Registered
Aug 6, 2011
So, I'm part of the bunch that came in when TF2 went free to play. I'm 13 and have no computer development experience whatsoever. However, I guess this is my opportunity to learn.

I've always liked making new maps, but was intimidated by map creation tools in games like Warcraft III. However, Hammer looks kinda simple and looks like a decent place to start. My current plan is to make a CTF map named Plateau. I already have a map drawn of what it's going to be like (but barely legible so I'll spare you the details) and I want to start development of the map ASAP.

So, that's pretty much it.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
A word of fair warning: Any editor for a 3D game is going to be orders of magnitude more complex and ask for much more dedication in learning than an RTS editor. But if you stick with it you'll get the hang eventually.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
What Boojum said:

Creating basic geometry is fairly simple, that much can be true. But understanding the consequences of making certain geometry formations is the hard part. Then there's the real level editing work... and understanding the mechanics of the game engine you're working with.

vis_leaf's, leaf portals, solid entities, point entities, hint brushes, areaportals, triggers, even scale.

Just be glad that multi-player is less complicated than single-player level design. Requiring additional knowledge of AI nodes, sequence scripting. Blah blah blah.

Don't be fooled by the basic interface, most of the work done in Hammer is "under the hood". Setting up inputs and outputs for triggers, setting up the basic game mechanics for game mods like payload, setting entity paramaters and environment settings.

Hammer isn't as "plug and play" as it perhaps was pre-Source. Much more customisation is required.

Last edited:

CHINESE TIGER

Aug 6, 2011
I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm just toying with it, following the tutorials from the Valve Developer Community, building basic things.

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
Just be glad that multi-player is even more complicated. Requiring additional knowledge of AI nodes, sequence scripting. Blah blah blah.

He meant to say single-player.

My personal advice for learning hammer would be:
-Make sure you're working on a grid, and start building rooms
-Learn how to create/edit entities
-Look at the vmfs of valve maps (do this any time you aren't sure how something is supposed to work, more than likely you'll be able to imitate the correct method if you see and understand how it's done)
-Learn how to use important tools
-Get boojum's fgd pack and use his libraries

Don't be afraid to ask for help, but remember to be as courteous as you can. Also, showing work to people early on will help you A LOT. You are almost guaranteed to do things the wrong way at first, and if you let people help you out, you'll be able to break bad habits and learn how to do things the right way. It'll involve putting yourself up for ridicule, but it'll save tons of time and effort in the long run.

As long as you're a cool guy and can get along with people, we'll be willing to help you out. Drop by the steam chat if you're really puzzled by anything.

zpqrei

Theme Changer Extraordinaire
aa
Oct 19, 2008
You seem like a cool guy, and more mature for your age than most 13-year-olds, so I think you'll get along fine in here.

On top of what everyone else has said, which I'd recommend greatly, I'd suggest you hang around in the TF2Maps.net Steam chat; it's a great place that loads of cool people hang out in, so you'll learn a lot. :)

CHINESE TIGER

Aug 6, 2011
You seem like a cool guy, and more mature for your age than most 13-year-olds, so I think you'll get along fine in here.

On top of what everyone else has said, which I'd recommend greatly, I'd suggest you hang around in the TF2Maps.net Steam chat; it's a great place that loads of cool people hang out in, so you'll learn a lot. :)

Interesting. I'll check it out soon enough. Thanks. :)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Woops! Yes, i meant to say that single-player is more complicated than multi-player. I made that post shortly after waking up >.<

Multi-player is a good place to start level design and definately has a more convinient play-tester player base. You can get your levels tested more easily, frequently and actually attend tests of your map.

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009

Note he didn't say that to any other 13 year olds :(

StickZer0

&#128153;&#128153;&#128131;&#128153;&#128153;
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Welcome!
Welcome, to city 17.

It's safer here.