What have we learned

Nov 14, 2009
OK, so the contest has ended! I had fun, I learned how to use hammer, I cant wait until the next contest when I can show my improved mapping muscle!

Anyways, what have we learned about contests in general? What would you change about this contest if you were going to do it again? What worked out/didnt about the contest? Finally, what would like like to see as the next major contest?

Jan 20, 2010
I don't want another CTF contest. Also having it as a "competitive TF2" focused contest bothered me. I'd much prefer a A/D or PL contest next. Those are fun to make. :p

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
"I always win!"

But in seriousness, it was a fun contest that motivated me to map. Plus, the very simple setup of the CTF mode gave us more time to think outside the box and less time getting the mode to work properly.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
I learned that I'm not modeling something for ravidge again unless he provides better references or concept art!!! ;)

Nov 14, 2009
Lemines, Ive always wanted to ask you: How do you pronounce your name? Is it like lemons or what?

Anyways, back on topic, I really dont want to see anything symmetrical any more. I really dislike the stage where I go and turn around the map. For some reason, it pisses me off to the max.

Geal

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
It seems like most people are wanting a 3-stage A/D CP contest. As for what I learned from this contest? Don't sit around doing pretty much nothing for the first two months.
4iboug.gif

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
what I learned:
-don't start your map in the middle of the 3rd month
-plan some times for compiling/pakrating/uploading... this one was way too close for me lol
Last edited by fubarFX; 05-08-2010 at 12:01 AM..
1 min past the deadline and it locked

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Despite not participating, I learned the importance of spawn locations, spawn timing, and pacing from playing the maps as they develop.

Jan 20, 2010
Lemines, Ive always wanted to ask you: How do you pronounce your name? Is it like lemons or what?

Anyways, back on topic, I really dont want to see anything symmetrical any more. I really dislike the stage where I go and turn around the map. For some reason, it pisses me off to the max.

Lem - in - nes.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I learnt that people don't like new gamemodes, and that if I really want to finish something within a set timezone, that I can do it!

Also, I learnt not to feel cocky when you submit your map on the second last day, thinking there'll only be 6 entries, only to wake up on the saturday and see over three pages¬

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I've learned how much I dislike mapping for CTF, and how hard it is to actually get some posts in your maps thread once in a while.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Ive learned how to map for tf2, and that my first map didnt turn out as sucky as I thought it would!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well i enjoyed being able to resolve some of the classic ctf issues. I enjoy playing ctf and so i enjoyed making a ctf map. Plus ctf needed some loving.

(I could have sworn i posted in here earlier).

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
what I learned:
-don't start your map in the middle of the 3rd month
-plan some times for compiling/pakrating/uploading... this one was way too close for me lol
1 min past the deadline and it locked

heh, i basically made an entire map in the thursday and friday leading up to the end, so don't feel too bad about starting 3 months into it.

I already knew I hated CTF, no changes there.

so you learnt something you already knew...

i learned:
- not every map will work out. i started 2 threads in the contest area for maps that i never continued for different reasons (though mainly cos the maps themselves started rubbing me the wrong way), there's also one map that didn't work out because it just was a lil too daring.
- when your "rotation" skip brush that covers your entire map ends up off centre for whatever reason, it REALLY sucks.
- staticpropslighting really is your friend, but don't start using it till you're close to the end, it really adds to the compile time
- how to create power from a simple sandvich. when our gravel reserves run out in real life i'll be prepared! :)