aa
May 21, 2009
Less than 8 is borderline insanity.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
...I don't understand how people can use 16, its too big for me :p

Because anything less than 16 allows player weapons to clip through walls.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
I use either 8 or 32. I rarely use 16 for some reason.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
All of them, but usually the biggest grid possible. Using a really small grid all the time can easily lead to
a) the map looking like a mess in hammer
b)visleaves being fucked up

I usually use 64 or 128 for blocking, and I never use a grid smaller than 8 if I don't specifically need something really thin.

About 8-unit walls, dario's maps have them too, and I used them in snowdrift.
Apparently they were a problem in crossroads though so I switched to 16. And actually 16 is a lot better now that I got used to it.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Really? I've never noticed it.

Besides, gravel pit has all 8 unit walls.

Since players don't generally stare point blank at a wall it's not really a huge issue, but you do notice when people shoot out the windows of B on Gravelpit and their weapons clip the window frame as they strafe in and out of cover, as well as the walls at A when people look out the glass window over looking the A-C connector.

It's also an issue in some areas of 2fort. The pyro's flamethrower is the worst culprit for weapon wall clipping, as well as the soldiers rocket launcher. This can be a pain for pyro users since they often rely on ambushes, and their weapon clipping through walls gives them away.

Last edited:

DrummerX

L1: Registered
Nov 22, 2009
Wait, hammer allows you to align stuff to the grid????

I've always just put the blocks in the general area and hoped for the best =P

(32 for big stuff and 2/4 for detail, never use 1 for anything, if it requires me to use 1, i just won't tend to it)